Matthew and Joanna Easter Carter, individually and as parents and as next friends and guardians of their daughter, V.J.B.C., a minor vs. Brian R. Adkins; Verizon West Virginia, Inc.
PA- Andrew S. Nason; J- William Stewart Thompson
* The Carters say Adkins, their neighbor, went to their residence during work hours in October 2008, and while talking to their 12-year-old daughter "raised his clothing and exposed parts of his anatomy..." knowing he "would cause emotional distress and harm..." The complaint mentions Adkins "was acting without the scope of his employment" with Verizon and was not properly advised. The Carters want jury judgment, jointly and/or severally, to compensate for various personal damages.
Case number: 09-C-278
Kara N. Harris-Black, individually and as Administratrix of the Estate of Howard T. Harris, deceased vs. Carter Roag Coal Co., a foreign corporation; Norman R. "Red" Hill Jr.; Richard A. Gear; Bucyrus America, Inc., a foreign corporation; and John Doe I, unknown and unidentified manufacturer
PA- Timothy J. Manchin; J- William Stewart Thompson
* The wrongful death suit recounts an underground mine accident on October 2007 at the Pleasant Hill Mine in Randolph County. Harris, employed as an electrician, was working on a power problem involving a conveyor system "when he became caught between the mobile bridge conveyor dolly and the Lo-Lo belt" and was fatally injured. Hill was the mine superintendent for Carter Roag, Gear was mine foreman. Bucyrus and John Doe I are accused of defective design of the coal moving system where Harris suffered fatal injury. Harris-Black alleges the Defendants knew of unsafe working conditions and wants jury determination of fair and equitable compensation for wrongful death.
Case number: 09-C-280
EQT Production Co. and EQT Gathering, LLC vs. Michael L. and Penny P. Brown
PA- Stephen E. Hastings; J- William Stewart Thompson
* Mineral extracting companies petitioned for an Emergency Temporary Restraining Order and Permanent Injunction against the Turtle Creek couple to prevent obstruction of EQT's pipeline operations. EQT cites its right-of-way mineral lease on the Brown's Indian Grave Road property, saying they have moved, crossed with heavy equipment, altered and covered the company's two-inch natural gas pipeline. Judge Thompson granted the petition Oct. 26.
Case number: 09-C-281
Daisy Chandler Dingess vs. Blazer Energy Corp.
PA- Patrick L. Cotrel; J- William Stewart Thompson
* The Florida woman wants a jury to require Blazer to disburse royalty funds, with interest, she says are due on a December 2007 oil and gas lease involving five-plus acres of property in Peytona District.
Case number: 09-C-283
Sabrina Elswick vs. Frasure Creek Mining, LLC, and Independence Coal Co., Inc.
PA- R. Michael Martin; J- William Stewart Thompson
* Elswick complains mud, debris and coal slurry tracked from Defendants' mining operations onto the roadway surface of Secondary Route 26 near Bandytown caused her vehicle to slide out of control off the road in October 2007. She seeks jury awards for personal injury and punitive damages, plus pre- and post-judgment interest, statutory attorney fees and any other general and further relief deemed proper.
Case number: 09-C-285