CHARLESTON -- A father is suing the Hershey Company and Walmart Stores for his 2-year-old son after the child ate candy that had a rusty needle in it.
On Oct. 22, 2008, Matthew Oyler ate a Mounds dark chocolate snack candy made by the Hershey Company and purchased at Wal-mart, according to a complaint filed Oct. 27 in Kanawha Circuit Court.
Samuel Oyler, Matthew Oyler's father, claims when his son ate the candy, a rusty needled that was lodged in the candy became lodged in his mouth and caused him injuries, including cuts and infections.
According to the suit, the Hershey Company and Wal-mart either failed to inspect the candy or inspected the candy and sold it in a defective condition such that it included the rusty needle.
Samuel Oyler claims he had to expend large sums of money for Matthew Oyler's medical and hospital treatment and services for his injuries and will require future medical care and treatment.
Samuel Oyler is suing for compensatory and general damages. He is being represented by J. Michael Ranson and Cynthia M. Ranson of Ranson Law Offices.
The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Louis Bloom.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 09-C-2009