CHARLESTON -- A Charleston woman is suing R.A.C. Inc. and her former apartment roommate after a fire occurred in the apartment unit.

On Feb. 26, 2008, a fire occurred in Apartment B, which was occupied by Kristy Walker and Crystal Lilly, according to a complaint filed Feb. 26 in Kanawha Circuit Court.

Walker claims she was not home when the fire occurred.

The fire originated from the living room from discarded smoking materials, according to the suit.

Walker claims R.A.C. neglected its owed duty of care by negligent maintenance of the apartment building's premises by not providing its tenants with operating smoke and fire detectors and adequate fire extinguishers.

Walker claims because of the defendants' negligence, she has suffered great mental anguish, loss of shelter, discomfort and peace of mind, and has suffered the loss of all of her belongings and property.

Walker is seeking compensatory damages for her personal property for an amount no less than $20,000, and damages for great mental anguish, loss of shelter, discomfort and peace of mind in the amount of $50,000. She is being represented by John R. Mitchell.

The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Jennifer Bailey.

Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 10-C-380




More News