Michael Thornsbury vs. Daily Gazette Company and Lonnie Hannah
PA- Bert Ketchum; J- Darrell Pratt
* Thornsbury is a Mingo County circuit judge. On March 29, the defendant newspaper published a front page article in the Sunday Gazette-Mail headlined "Mingo sheriff questions UK tickets, tax break" that he says was libelous and untrue. Thornsbury claims he played no role in the purchase of 60 tickets that were bought for the Mingo County Upward Bound Program field trip. Hannah is quoted in the article as saying that laws had been violated, according to the suit. Thornsbury claims the defendants defamed him and caused him to suffer damages to his character, reputation and integrity. He is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-074
Lois C. Nichols vs. River City Ford, Inc.; Manufacturers and Traders Trust Company, LLC, d/b/a M&T Credit Corporation, LLC, a foreign corporation; and Dealer Motor Services, Inc., a foreign corporation
PA- William L. Mundy; J- James H. Young
* On Jan. 2, 2008, Nichols entered into an agreement for the purchase of a 2006 Ford F150 pickup from River City Ford. Nichols claims she purchased "gap" insurance for $595. On Feb. 25, 2009, the vehicle was destroyed in a fire and Nichols received payment for the loss of the vehicle under her insurance policy, according to the suit. Nichols claims she made a claim for the proceeds available via the gap insurance and was denied by the defendants. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages, forgiveness of the loan, refund of pro-rata share of premiums paid and pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 10-C-083
Alliance Wholesale Supply, Inc. vs. Craig Morgan Trust, BB&T Collateral Service Corporation and Andrew Gallo d/b/a Gallo Construction
PA- Glenn J. Robinette; J- James H. Young
* On April 8, 2009, Alliance began work pursuant to an agreement with Gallo to furnish certain materials and labor. Alliance claims the defendants owe $61,711.58 for its services. Alliance is seeking that the property be sold to pay off and satisfy its claim for the sum of $61,711.58 after the liens on the property and their priorities have been duly ascertained.
Case number: 10-C-085
Copley Classic Construction, Inc. vs. Delbert C. McCloud and Kathy S. McCloud
PA- Scott D. Maddox; J- James H. Young
* The defendants own property in Wayne County. In July 2006, Copley Classic Construction entered into a contract with the defendants for the construction of a log home and the defendants agreed to pay $35,460 for the construction, according to the suit. Copley claims it fully completed all obligations under the contract in May 2007 and the defendants have refused to pay for the services. Copley is seeking damages in the amount of $34,644.13 plus pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 10-C-087
Jimmy Methax, as next friend and parent if Mackenzie Methax, a minor child vs. the Wayne County Board of Education
PA- Roger L. Lambert; J- James H. Young
* On Oct. 30, 2009, Mackenzie Methax was a student at Ft. Gay Elementary School and was walking with her classmates and teacher to an art class located outside of the main school building when she fell down a flight of stairs and was injured. Jimmy Methax claims the defendant has a duty to safeguard its students to protect them from any harm and failed to do so. He is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 10-C-093
Deanna Thomas vs. Sherry Lynn Corbett and GEICO Insurance Company
PA- William L. Mundy; J- Darrell Pratt
* On May 27, 2008, Corbett negligently and recklessly drove a vehicle into Thomas when she was crossing the U.S. Route 60 and caused injury. Thomas claims at the time of the accident Corbett was under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. GEICO has refused to pay benefits, according to the suit. Thomas is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-094