Taniqra Payne vs. Kanawha Valley Regional Transportation Authority
PA- Geoffrey I. Ekenasi; J- Charles King
* On Aug. 3, 2009, Payne was a guest passenger in a bus owned by the defendant. She claims the unknown driver of the bus made an abrupt and unexpected stop, causing her to be thrown forward. The defendant had a duty to ensure that its employees operate their vehicles in a safe and lawful manner and failed to do so. Payne is seeking compensatory damages with pre-judgment interest.
Case number: 10-C-1303
Christopher J. Sanders, administrator of the Estate of Brenda D. Parker vs. Mercer Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, LLC, d/b/a Mercer Continuous Care
PA- Debra A. Nelson, Eric J. Buckner; J- Tod J. Kaufman
* On Aug. 29, 2008, Parker was admitted as a patient the Mercer Rehabilitation Center and remained an inpatient at the facility until Sept. 5, 2008, when she was admitted to Bluefield Regional Medical Center. Sanders claims when Parker was admitted to the hospital she "appeared toxic, with a white blood count of 17.59, and purulent drainage from the upper portion of her back would, with a foul odor, and a soft fluctuance palpated in the area." Parker died on Sept. 7, 2008. Sanders is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-1305
Barbara L. Utt, as personal representative of the Estate of Ruth L. Humphreys vs. Alfred K. Pfister
PA- Charles R. Webb; J- Carrie Webster
* On May 19, 2008, Humphreys presented to Pfister with symptoms consisted with temporal arteritis. Utt claims Pfister failed to further assess the symptoms. Humphreys died July 10, 2008. Utt is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-1307
Tijuana "Tina" Smith vs. Regional Adjustment Bureau, Inc. a/k/a RAB, Inc.
PA- Anthony J. Majestro; J- James C. Stucky
* In July 2005, Smith disengaged her employment with BB&T and directed the company to close her checking out at that time. In 2009, Smith claims she began receiving telephone calls from RAB in attempts to collect an alleged debt that United Collection Bureau claimed was originally owed to BB&T. Smith told RAB she did not owe any debt, but RAB continued to attempt to contact her. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-1311
Tijuana "Tina" Smith vs. United Collection Bureau, Inc.
PA- Anthony J. Majestro; J- James C. Stucky
* In July 2005, Smith disengaged her employment with BB&T and directed the company to close her checking out at that time. In 2009, Smith claims she began receiving telephone calls from UCB in attempts to collect an alleged debt that it claimed was originally owed to BB&T. Smith told UCB she did not owe any debt, but UCB continued to attempt to contact her. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-1312
Michael Kidd vs. Jason Garnes and the West Virginia State Police
PA- Mark McMillian; J- Charles King
* On Sept. 23, 2009, Kidd observed multiple State Police vehicles illegally parked along Goshorn Street, one of which was occupying two spaces clearly marked and reserved for handicapped parking. Kidd claims he began photographing the illegally parked police car when Garnes confronted him. According to the suit, Garnes demanded an explanation, to which Kidd replied he was taking photographs of illegally parked police cars. Kidd claims Garnes searched him and made him stand against a wall with his hands up for 15 minutes, cursing at him and threatening him. Kidd is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-1316
Dreama Vanhoose, executrix of the Estate of Thomas McDonie, deceased vs. A.O. Smith Corporation, A.W. Chesterton Company, Ajax Magnethermic Corporation et al
PA- Brian A. Prim; J- visiting
* Vanhoose claims the 72 defendants were responsible for McDonie's mesothelioma and eventual death on Dec. 3, 2008. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-1323
Pamela Lucas vs. Ford Motor Company
PA- Mary Downey; J- Louis Bloom
* On May 11, 2007, Lucas purchased a vehicle from the defendant. She claims the vehicle was defective. She is seeking revocation of acceptance of the vehicle and damages in the amount of the purchase price of the vehicle.
Case number: 10-C-1325
Miranda Hall vs. Ford Motor Company
PA- Michael L. Glasser; J- James C. Stucky
* On March 26, 2009, Hall purchased a 2008 Ford Mustang from the defendant. She claims the vehicle was defective. She is seeking revocation of acceptance and refund of the purchase price and damages for the costs of repairs.
Case number: 10-C-1326
Barbara J. May and James G. May vs. Charleston Area Medical Center, Inc.; and Michael A. Covelli, M.D.
PA- Richard D. Lindsay; J- Tod J. Kaufman
* On Jan. 14, 2008, Mrs. May underwent a mammogram and had a follow-up mammogram on Jan. 24, 2008, both of which revealed abnormalities and a lesion in her left breast. On Feb. 11, 2008, she was seen by Covelli. She claims Covelli failed to perform a biopsy of the mass in her breast and failed to timely diagnose and treat the malignancy in her left breast. The Mays are seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-1335
Tracey Davis and Jason Michael Davis vs. Target Corporation
PA- Paula L. Wilson J- Louis Bloom
* On Oct. 11, 2008, Tracey Davis was a patron at the Target location in Charleston when she stepped into a large puddle of clear liquid and fell. The couple is seeking damages in an amount to be determined by the Court with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 10-C-1337
Carolyn Sue Wilkinson and Richard Wilkinson vs. A.W. Chesterton Company, Certainteed Corporation, FMC Corporation et al
PA- Stuart Calwell, John H. Skaggs; J- visiting
* The Wilkinsons claim the nine defendants are responsible for Mrs. Wilkinson's mesothelioma, of which she was diagnosed in June 2010. Mr. Wilkinson was employed by the defendants and was exposed to asbestos fibers, which caused Mrs. Wilkinson to be exposed to asbestos fibers. The couple is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-1348
Kim Skaggs vs. General Motors, LLC
PA- Michael L. Glasser; J- Louis Bloom
* On Dec. 26, 2008, Skaggs purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook from the defendant. She claims the vehicle was defective. She is seeking revocation of acceptance and refund of the purchase price of the vehicle and damages for repair costs and loss of use.
Case number: 10-C-1364
Bonnie J. Buckalew vs. JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A.; IBM Lender Business Process Services, Inc.; Real Estate Central, LLC; and Fred Lewis
PA- Bren J. Pomponio; J- Charles King
* Buckalew claims the defendants inflated her income and induced her to purchase a home at an inflated value. She claims the defendants misrepresented her income and the value of the property. The loan issued by the defendants was unconscionable, according to the suit. She is seeking actual damages.
Case number: 10-C-1365