Jackie L. Goff vs. Family Dollar Stores of West Virginia Inc. and Zamias Services Inc.
PA- Stephen P. Swisher; J- Jennifer Bailey
* On Sept. 20, 2008, Goff was a customer of Family Dollar and was walking toward the store through a parking lot owned by Zamias Services. He claims while walking, the asphalt in the parking lot gave way and sunk, causing him to fall forward, hitting his head and elbow on the sidewalk directly in front of the Family Dollar store. He is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 10-C-1593
Shawna N. Pinkerton and Michael Shayne Pinkerton II vs. Nike USA, Inc., and Nike, Inc.
PA- pro se; J- Carrie Webster
* On Sept. 2, 2008, Shawna N. Pinkerton was wearing a pair of defectively designed and/or manufactured flip flops which were made and/or sold by the defendants. Due to the defective nature of the footwear, Shawna N. Pinkerton dislocated and broke her ankle. The couple is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 10-C-1595
Justin Jenkins, on behalf of himself and all other employees similarly situated vs. Dick's Sporting Goods, Inc.; Galyan's trading Company, Inc.; Edward Stack; Kathryn Sutter; William Colombo; Jay Crosson; and Lynn Uram
PA- Kathy A. Brown; J- Tod J. Kaufman
* Jenkins claims the defendants "have maintained a company-wide policy of not paying hourly employees for all time worked, and encouraging off-the-clock work to be performed." Jenkins is seeking certification of this case as a class action; an order preliminarily and permanently restraining the defendants from engaging in pay violations; an award of the value of his and class members' unpaid wages, including fringe benefits; punitive damages; and pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 10-C-1604
Justin Adkins and Chrissy Adkins vs. General Motor Corporation and Thornhill Superstore Inc.
PA- Damon L. Ellis; J- Tod J. Kaufman
* On Nov. 30, 2008, the plaintiffs purchased a 2008 Pontiac Torrent from Thornhill. They claim the vehicle was defective. They are seeking revocation of acceptance and refund of the purchase price of the vehicle and damages for loss of use, annoyance and inconvenience.
Case number: 10-C-1615
Beverly Layne vs. Smith Company Motor Cars and Jeremy Nelson
PA- David L. Grubb, Cameron S. McKinney; J- Paul Zakaib Jr.
* On July 11, 2008, Layne entered into a contract with the defendants for the purchase of a 2008 Volvo. Layne claims the defendant assured her the vehicle was a good, dependable car when in fact the vehicle had previously been damaged. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages and that the contract involved be declared canceled.
Case number: 10-C-1628