Gilmer man sues Glenville State for injuries

By Kyla Asbury | Oct 25, 2010

CHARLESTON -- A Gilmer County man is suing Glenville State College after he sustained injuries in the Conrad Motel.

Glenville State College Housing Corporation was also named as a defendant in the suit.

On July 1, 2008, the defendants purchased the Conrad Motel, which was located near the campus of Glenville State College, and continued to operate it as a public motel, according to a complaint filed Oct. 4 in Kanawha Circuit Court.

On Oct. 6, 2008, Dale J. Norman claims he was injured in the motel when he was severely burned by scaling hot water from a bath tub spigot located in the motel room he was renting.

The room Norman rented was serviced by a hot water heater that he did not have access to, according to the suit.

Norman claims the temperature setting on the hot water heater servicing his room was set at a temperature which ignored conspicuous and clear warnings regarding scald burns and serious injury, which were located on the hot water tank and in the instruction manual.

The defendants were negligent in the operation, maintenance and care of the motel by creating a dangerous and hazardous condition with the temperature setting on the hot water heater, according to the suit.

Norman is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest. He is being represented by Douglas R. Miley.

The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Carrie Webster.

Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 10-C-1767

More News

The Record Network