Richard Packer and Janet Packer, his wife vs. Accent Bearings Co., Inc.; American Standard, Inc.; American Insulated Wire Co. et al
PA- Browyn I. Rinehart, Patrick J. Timmins; J- visiting
* Mr. Packer claims the 91 defendants are responsible for exposing him to asbestos. The couple is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-2267
Nedra Vance vs. Racing Corporation of West Virginia d/b/a Mardi Gras Casino & Resort and William Rothman
PA- Paul M. Stroebel; J- James C. Stucky
* Vance was employed by the defendants. She claims she was harassed by Rothman, who subjected her to sexual remarks and demeaning comments that were unwanted. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-2274
Seaondra Wade, individually and as administratrix of the Estate and Wrongful Death Beneficiaries of Ethel Pearl Malloy vs. Harrell Memorial Nursing Home, Inc.; Judy Hash; John Does 1 through 10; and Unidentified Entities 1 through 10 (as to Meadowbrook Acres Nursing Center)
PA- James B. McHugh, Michael J. Fuller Jr.; J- Carrie Webster
* Malloy was a resident of the defendants. Wade claims the defendants are responsible for Malloy's death on Nov. 14, 2009. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-2280
Kathy Lynn Williams vs. United Bank, Inc. d/b/a United Bank and Beverly Sammons
PA- Jon D. Hoover; J- Charles King
* Williams and Sammons were employed by United Bank and also attended Dominion Harvest Fellowship Church for approximately 15 years. Williams claims they often discussed church business at work. In May 2009, Williams quit attending services at the church and in October 2009, she withdrew her membership at the church. She claims from the time she quit attending church services until her employment was terminated on Nov. 16, 2009, she was subjected to a hostile work environment. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-2285
Amanda L. Childress and Darrin Childress, her husband vs. SHC Promotions, LLC d/b/a K-Mart
PA- Stephen P. Meyer; J- Louis Bloom
* On Oct. 28, Mrs. Childress was at K-Mart in St. Albans when she slipped on a foreign substance in the floor and was injured. The couple is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 10-C-2325
Sheila Mikeal and Brett Mikeal vs. New Winterplace, LLC d/b/a Winterplace Ski Resort; Caleb Wynn, a minor; and Yunna Wynn, individually and as mother and legal guardian of Caleb Wynn
PA- Richard E. Holtzapfel; J- Carrie Webster
* On Dec. 31, 2008, the Mikeals and their two minor children were snow tubing at Winterplace. Mrs. Mikeal descended down the mountainside in one of the lanes of the snow tubing course, but was unable to generate enough speed to make it through the valley portion of the course, which caused her to drift back into the valley, unable to stop, control or regulate the speed of her snow tube, according to the suit. The couple claims that at some point Caleb Wynn began his descent down the mountain in the same lane as Mrs. Mikeal, hitting her "head-to-head." The Mikeals are seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 10-C-2333
Shonette Loftis, administrator of the Estate of Rodney Dale Loftis Sr. vs. James A. Pollack, M.D.
PA- Richard D. Lindsay, Matthew C. Lindsay, Johnson W. Gabhart; J- Louis Bloom
* On March 1, Mr. Loftis was admitted to Short Stay Surgery at Thomas Memorial Hospital for a laparascopic cholecystectomy to be performed by Pollack. Mrs. Loftis claims her husband began to experience severe abdominal pain after the surgery and was admitted back into the hospital on March 18 with severe pancreatitis, where he stayed until his death on May 9. Mrs. Loftis claims Pollack was negligent and deviated from the appropriate standard of care. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-3
Kathy Smith, as administratrix of the Estate of Jason Smith vs. Charleston Area Medical Center, Inc.
PA- William M. Tiano; J- Carrie Webster
* Jason Smith was involved in a vehicle accident on April 25, 2009, and was taken to the hospital. Kathy Smith claims Jason Smith began to improve over the next several days, but on May 1, 2009, he began to decline and later died. Kathy Smith claims the hospital failed to diagnose and/or treat Jason Smith's pulmonary emboli. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-19