CHARLESTON -- A Kentucky man is suing Norfolk Southern Railway Company after he claims it is responsible for his mesothelioma.
Edward A. Reed was employed by the defendant from 1956 until 1959 as a fireman in its Williamson, W.Va., facility, according to a complaint filed May 9 in Kanawha Circuit Court.
Reed claims he was exposed to toxic substances, including asbestos, which caused his mesothelioma diagnosis on March 11.
The defendant failed to provide Reed with a reasonably safe place to work; failed to furnish him with safe and suitable tools and equipment; and failed to warn him of the true nature and hazardous effects of the asbestos, according to the suit.
Reed is seeking judgment against the defendant in an amount in excess of the jurisdictional limitation. He is being represented by Victoria L. Antion, Scott A. McGee, John E. Guerry III and Joseph Satterly.
The case has been assigned to a visiting judge.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 11-C-748