WAYNE -- A Wayne woman is suing the Wayne County Board of Education after she inhaled industrial oven cleaner fumes and was hospitalized.
Puritan Services, Inc.; Ecolab, Inc.; and Does 1 through 15 were also named as defendants in the suit.
On June 3, 2009, Rita Napier was working for the Wayne County Board of Education and was supplied an industrial oven cleaner, according to a complaint filed May 5 in Wayne Circuit Court.
Napier claims while using the industrial strength oven cleaner, she inhaled some of its fumes and was hospitalized.
The defendants failed to provide Napier proper protective equipment in which to use the industrial strength oven cleaner, according to the suit.
Napier claims she suffered pneumonia, major depressive disorder, dysphagia, esophagitis; and chemical burns and sores to her mouth and throat.
Napier is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre-judgment interest. She is being represented by J. Patrick L. Stephens.
The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge James H. Young Jr.
Wayne Circuit Court case number: 11-C-079