CHARLESTON -- A Beckley woman is suing Bath & Body Works after she was burned by a fragrance oil warmer.
Sharon Williams purchased a fragrance oil warmer from the defendant and on July 21, 2010, she was using the oil warmer on a wood table in her dining room when the product became completely engulfed in flames, according to a complaint filed April 27 in Kanawha Circuit Court.
Williams claims when she attempted to get the oil warmer out of her home to extinguish the flames, she was splashed with hot oil and burned severely.
The oil warmer was being used in a manner consistent with directions and warnings contained in product packaging and directions and was defective, according to the suit.
Williams claims as a result of the defendant's defective product and the defendant's failure to provide adequate warnings and/or instructions, she sustained damages, including medical bills, pain, suffering, annoyance, inconvenience and emotional distress.
No one at the local store advised Williams that the product could catch fire through normal use, according to the suit, and after she contacted the defendant regarding the defective product, including informing them of her "thousands of dollars of medical expenses" she incurred, the defendants offered her a gift card to compensate her for her injuries.
Williams is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest. She is being represented by Thomas A. Rist.
The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge Charles E. King.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 12-C-755