CHARLESTON -- A man is suing Appalachian Power Company after he claims he received an electric shock that caused him injuries.

Asplundh Tree Expert Co. and John Doe, an employee of Asplundh, were also named as defendants in the suit.

On Aug. 11, 2010, after a thunderstorm had moved through the area, Roger E. Elkins went to an outbuilding on his residential property where he maintained a workshop and when he grabbed the door knob to oper the door, he was electrically shocked and thrown approximately 20 feet back from the building, according to a complaint filed Aug. 10 in Kanawha Circuit Court.

Elkins claims as a result of the explosion, the workshop building exploded at the same time he had grabbed the door knob.

Days before the explosion occurred, Elkins had verbally complained to an employee of Asplundh known by the name of "Chico" that there were trees and plant growth entwined into the power lines near the outbuilding, according to the suit.

Elkins claims the defendants failed to properly trim or cut back trees and plant growth from the power lines; failed to properly inspect and/or monitor the power lines; failed to properly warn of hidden dangers; failed to properly repair the power lines; and failed to properly operate and/or maintain the power lines.

The defendants' negligent conduct caused Elkins to incur diverse and sundry expenses for doctors, hospitals, medicines and other medical care and attention, according to the suit.

Elkins is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest. He is being represented by Richard E. Hardison Jr. and Tim C. Carrico.

The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge James C. Stucky.

Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 12-C-1603

More News