Randy E. Hanshaw vs. Kanawha County Sheriff, as administratrix of the Estate of Laura Marcum
PA- William M. Tiano; J- Charles E. King
* On April 8, 2011, Hanshaw was operating a KRT bus on Elk River Road when Marcum, who was operating a 2008 Toyota Highlander in a careless and reckless manner, crossed the center line and collided with the bus, the suit says. Hanshaw is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-620
Amy Maynard, administratrix of the Estate of Kermit Maynard vs. Charleston Area Medical Center Inc. and James P. Griffith, M.D.
PA- Patricia A. Jennings; J- Paul Zakaib Jr.
* On April 2, 2011, Kermit Maynard sought treatment at CAMC in connection with a drug overdose and he was monitored in ICU until April 4, 2011, and then was admitted to Behavioral Medicine Service from April 4, 2011, until April 7, 2011. Prior to his discharge, Kermit Maynard's family called the defendants and expressed that they were unhappy with him being discharged, but the defendants discharged him and on April 8, 2011, he committed suicide, the suit says. Amy Maynard is seeking compensatory pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-663
Betty Sowards; and Ronnie Sowards, administrator of the Estate of Brittany Sowards, deceased vs. David M. McCarter, individually; Paul McCarter d/b/a PM Trucking; Fallen Timber Logging LLC; and John Doe(s) individually and as company or companies
PA- Robert B. Warner, Tammy Bowles Raines; J- Louis H. Bloom, Jennifer Bailey
* On March 26, Sowards was operating a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta in which Brittany Sowards was a passenger. David McCarter was operating a tractor-trailer owned by Paul McCarter and Fallen Timber when he lost control, crossed the median and collided head-on with the Sowards vehicle, the suit says. Betty Sowards was severely injured and Brittany Sowards was killed as a result of the accident. Betty Sowards is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-670, 13-C-672
William Eugene Miller vs. 3M Company; A.W. Chesterton Company; American Electric Power; et al
PA- Bronwyn I. Rinehart; J- visiting
* Miller was diagnosed with lung cancer on April 21, 2011. He claims the 60 defendants are responsible for the diagnosis. Miller is seeking a jury trial to resolve all issues involved.
Case number: 13-C-674
Dirar M. Ahmad vs. Kroger Limited Partnership I d/b/a Kroger; Rodney Jones; Terra Smyre; Brent Donald; and John Doe
PA- Timothy L. Eves; J- Jennifer Bailey
* On April 5, 2011, Ahmad was shopping at Kroger in Charleston when he slipped on a slick substance in the floor and was injured, the suit says. Ahmad is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-675
Paul Allen Harper vs. Garry D. Pauley; O.V. Smith & Sons Inc.; and John Doe Entity
PA- Troy N. Giatras; J- Louis H. Bloom
* On April 4, 2011, Pauley was driving through the parking lot of Elk Plaza and allegedly struck Harper, who was exiting the Rite-Aid Pharmacy and was walking toward his vehicle. Harper is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-677
Troy N. Frederick vs. Enervest Operating LLC; Performance Drilling LLC; Performance Energy Partners LLC; and Raptor Consulting Services LLC
PA- Robert M. Williams, Edwin H. Pancake; J- Jennifer Bailey
* On Nov. 1, 2011, Frederick was working as a floorhand for Performance Drilling when the blowout preventer suddenly broke loose due to the unsafe, defective and/or inadequate rigging system and/or lifting device that was being used to hoist and/or suspend the blowout preventer, causing it to swing free and strike him, the suit says. Frederick is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-693
Raheem Nader II vs. Nursing Care Management of America Inc.; Harrell Memorial Nursing Home Inc. d/b/a Meadowbrook Acres Nursing Center; and Jeffrey A. Smith
PA- Mark A. Atkinson, John-Mark Atkinson; J- James C. Stucky
* Nader was employed by the defendants for approximately 15.5 years and claims he made good faith reports to the defendants of instances of wrongdoing and/or waste, the suit says. Nader claims the defendants terminated his employment on Nov. 8 in whole or in part for making the good faith reports. Nader is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-694
Chad D. Morton vs. Beverly Enterprises-West Virginia Inc. d/b/a Golden Living Center-Glasgow
PA- Christopher B. Frost; J- Louis H. Bloom
* Morton was employed by the defendant. He claims when his employment was terminated the defendant failed to pay his final wages within 72 hours of termination. Morton is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 13-C-697
Mia Huffman and Mark Huffman vs. Herbert J. Thomas Memorial Hospital Association d/b/a Thomas Memorial Hospital; Ananthan Krishnathas, M.D.; and Philip Berry, D.O.
PA- Richard D. Lindsay, Matthew C. Lindsay; J- Tod J. Kaufman
* On Jan. 5, Mia Huffman awakened at her home at a little after 5 a.m. and spoke with her husband and at approximately 5:20 a.m., Mark Huffman found his wife slumped over in the bed with left-side weakness and numbness and impaired speech. The Huffmans claim an ambulance was called and Mia Huffman was taken to the defendant hospital at approximately 6 a.m. From the time Mia Huffman arrived at the emergency department until approximately 10 a.m., she received no thrombolytics for her ischemic stroke, the suit says. The Huffmans are seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-700