Cassandra Chapman and Marie Foster vs. Andrew Lewis and Penta Charleston B LLC d/b/a Charleston Plaza Hotel
PA- Lia DiTrapano Fairless; J- James C. Stucky
* Lewis created a hostile work environment at Penta and caused Chapman and Foster to suffer damages, the suit says. Chapman and Foster are seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 13-C-1044, 13-C-1045
Tyler J. Jarrell vs. Speed Mining LLC; Lightning Contract Services Inc.; and Thunder Contract Services Inc.
PA- Guy R. Bucci, Mark A. Barney; J- Paul Zakaib Jr.
* On Aug. 11, Jarrell was allegedly assigned to work without a black hat miner or supervisor to spray off the belt structure with a water hose. The water hose got caught behind him in the belt, causing the hose to be pulled into the belt conveyor and thereby pulling Jarrell's right arm into the belt roller and the belt, he says. Jarrell is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-1051
Joshua Brothers vs. Excel Modular Scaffold and Leasing Corporation and Randy Campbell
PA- Mark Goldner, William P. Lauro; J- Tod J. Kaufman
* In January 2011, Brothers was hired by the defendants. On June 1, 2011, Brothers allegedly sustained a work injury and sought treatment for the injury. The defendants terminated his employment on June 3, 2011. Brothers is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 13-C-1052
Patricia McFerran, administratrix of the Estate of RoseAnn McFerran, deceased vs. Beverly Enterprises-West Virginia Inc. d/b/a Golden Living Center-Riverside; Jennifer Jeffrey, individually and as administrator of Golden Living Center-Riverside; and John Does 1-2
PA- Robert B. Warner, Tammy Bowles Raines; J- Jennifer Bailey
* RoseAnn McFerran became a resident of the defendants on June 23, 2011, and after only a few hours, went into extreme respiratory distress, the suit says. RoseAnn McFerran died at 4 a.m. on June 24, 2011. Patricia McFerran is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 13-C-1055
Mary E. Carpenter vs. Dragon Garden Buffet Corp.
PA- Harry . Bell Jr.; J- Paul Zakaib Jr.
* On Dec. 10, Carpenter was a patron at Dragon when she allegedly slipped on grease and fell. Carpenter is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-1057
James Thomas vs. Citynet LLC
PA- J. Michael Ranson, Cynthia M. Ranson; J- Carrie Webster
* Thomas was employed by the defendant until Oct. 19, when he voluntarily left his employment. He claims the defendant denied his redemption request under his Citynet Employee Incentive Plan. Thomas is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 13-C-1061
Tanya Harless and Shawn Harless vs. Phillip Surface, D.O.; and Herbert J. Thomas Memorial Hospital Association
PA- Thomas G. WIlson; J- Paul Zakaib Jr.
* On Feb. 12, Tanya Harless arrived at Surface's office for treatment of a knee injury and was walking with the assistance of a cane due to her knee injury. After she waited for a period of time in the office, she was eventually allegedly told by an employee that Surface would not treat her and, upset at being denied treatment for her injuries, Tanya Harless attempted to leave the premises. While she was collecting her personal documents at the waiting room window, Surface verbally accosted her and began pushing her away from the window, she says. The Harlesses are seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-1069
Karen L. Whittard vs. Lumos Networks of West Virginia Inc. f/k/a nTELOS of West Virginia; Carrie Scott; and William Wilson
PA- Gene W. Bailey II, Rah A. Shah; J- Carrie Webster
* Whittard was employed by the defendants from March 13, 2000, through July 31, 2011. She claims her employment was terminated based on her age. Whittard is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 13-C-1075