Floyd Sowards vs. Valley Health Systems Inc.
PA- Thomas G. Wilson; J- Phillip Stowers
* On Oct. 27, 2011, Sowards took his wife to Valley Health for an appointment when he allegedly tripped and fell to the floor. Sowards is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-202
Jerry Calvin Totten vs. Frontier Communications
PA- Michael S. Bailey; J- Joseph K. Reeder
* Totten was a Verizon employee who transitioned to being a Frontier employee when Frontier acquired Verizon in 2010. He claims on June 24, 2011, he was wrongfully let go after a bogus investigation into false and defamatory accusations and allegations against him was conducted. Totten is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-203
Steve Stewart and Kim Stewart, individually and as next friends and parents of Jacob Stewart, a minor vs. Putnam County Board of Education
PA- R.R. Fredeking II, Paul E. Biser; J- Joseph K. Reeder
* On March 15, Jacob Stewart was attending a softball game between Hurricane High School and Spring Valley High School at Hurricane when he allegedly tripped on the edge of the sidewalk and was injured. The Stewarts are seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 13-C-208
Hollis B. Horton vs. Jessie W. Shearer; Hurricane Volunteer Fire Department Inc.; Dakota L. Jones; and the Putnam County Commission EMS
PA- Robert D. Cline Jr., Robert A. Campbell, Letisha R. Bika; J- Joseph K. Reeder
* On Aug. 16, 2011, Horton was operating his vehicle on W.Va. 34 in Hurricane when Jones, who was driving a Putnam County Emergency Ambulance responding to an emergency call. Shearer was following the emergency vehicle in a Hurricane Volunteer Fire Department vehicle. While Shearer was in the process of executing an illegal passing maneuver, Horton encountered the emergency vehicles and was injured, the suit says. Horton is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-209
Heather Lang vs. Alpha Technologies Inc. and Ron Deeds
PA- Robert H. Miller II, Shawn R. Romano; J- Phillip Stowers
* Lang was employed by Alpha as an account executive beginning April 1, 2011. Lang claims Deeds sexually harassed her and she complained about his behavior to other Alpha employees. On July 6, 2012, her employment was wrongfully terminated, the suit says. Lang is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 13-C-218