Williamson couple blames Appalachian Power for house fire

By Kyla Asbury | Jul 21, 2015

CHARLESTON – A Williamson couple is suing Appalachian Power Company for a house fire that destroyed their home. On June 6, 2013, the defendant caused a power surge to the home of Goldie Stevens and Darrell Stevens, according to a complaint initially filed June 5 in Mingo Circuit Court and removed to federal court on July 9. The Stevenses claim the power surge caused a short circuit arc in the meter box and, due to the mechanical failure, it caused their home to catch fire and be destroyed. Th


CHARLESTON – A Williamson couple is suing Appalachian Power Company for a house fire that destroyed their home.

On June 6, 2013, the defendant caused a power surge to the home of Goldie Stevens and Darrell Stevens, according to a complaint initially filed June 5 in Mingo Circuit Court and removed to federal court on July 9.

The Stevenses claim the power surge caused a short circuit arc in the meter box and, due to the mechanical failure, it caused their home to catch fire and be destroyed.

The damages caused the Stevenses to suffer an impairment of their ability to enjoy their family and life in general, according to the suit.

The Stevenses claim the house fire caused them serious aggravation, inconvenience and anxiety.

The Stevenses are seeking compensatory damages with pre-judgment interest. They are representing themselves.

The case is assigned to District Judge Thomas E. Johnston.

U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia case number: 2:15-cv-09714

More News

The Record Network