CHARLESTON — A cook is suing KFC restaurant owner Ampex Brands of West Virginia Inc. and fryer manufacturer Henny Penny Corp., alleging insufficient measures were taken to prevent injuries.
John R. Allman filed a complaint on July 18 in Kanawha Circuit Court against the defendants, alleging that they breached their duty to protect him.
According to the complaint, the plaintiff alleges that on Nov. 8, 2015, he was working at a KFC restaurant when he stepped in an unguarded pan of hot grease, which caused him to sustain a severely burnt foot, scarring and nerve damage. He has been required to expend large sums of money for medical and hospital treatment, he alleges. The plaintiff holds the defendants responsible because Ampex Brands allegedly failed to provide a safe place to work and Henny Penny allegedly defectively designed, manufactured and distributed the pressure fryer, failed to provide proper guarding and failed to give proper warning and instructions.
The plaintiff requests a trial by jury and seeks judgment against the defendants, jointly and severally, for compensatory damages, punitive damages, attorneys' fees and costs and such other relief as the court finds equitable. He is represented by J. Michael Ranson and Cynthia M. Ranson of Ranson Law Offices in Charleston and G. Patrick Jacobs of Jacobs Law Offices in Charleston.
Kanawha Circuit Court Case number 16-c-1094