Free tax prep assistance offered by State Law Library
Chris Dickerson Feb. 29, 2012, 4:47am
CHARLESTON -– The State Law Library, in cooperation with the Central West Virginia Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, is offering free income tax preparation assistance for low- to middle income taxpayers earning under $49,000.
Certified volunteer staff members can prepare and e-file simple tax returns. Those who need assistance with more complicated forms, such as Schedule C (profit and loss from business); Schedule D (capital gains and losses); Form 2106 (employee business expenses); and Form 3903 (moving), will be referred elsewhere.
Appointments are required and may be scheduled by calling the State Law Library at (304) 558-2607. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays; 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesdays; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Fridays; and 10 a.m. to noon on Saturdays. Appointments are available now through April 14.
The State Law Library is located in Room E-404 in the East Wing of the state Capitol in Charleston. Metered parking is available near the Culture Center. Parking is also available at the University of Charleston Stadium lot on Elizabeth Street. A shuttle bus operates between that lot and the Capitol on weekdays; ask to be dropped off at the Supreme Court entrance on California Avenue.
Bring to the appointment:
* Proof of identification (government issued photo ID: driver's license, West Virginia state ID card, etc.);
* Social Security cards for you, spouse, and dependents you are claiming;
* Birth dates for self, spouse, and dependents you are claiming;
* W-2, W-2G, wage and earning statements from all employers;
* Form 1099 income (interest and dividend statements, other income);
* Receipts for 2011 property taxes, charitable donations, medical expenses, mortgage interest, student loan interest (if applicable);
* Receipts for total paid to daycare provider and the provider's tax ID number (the provider's Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number);
* Married filing jointly taxpayers must both be present to sign documents; and
* Bank account number and bank routing number if direct deposit refund is desired.