Joshua Robinson vs. Kanawha County Commission
PA- Dana F. Eddy; J- Carrie Webster
* In March 2010, Robinson entered a Kennedy plea to criminal charges that had been imposed against him and his sentence included a period of home confinement. Robinson claims in the course of wearing the ankle bracelet, he suffered an infection in the area where the bracelet was placed and he was required to undergo medical procedures, including surgery. Robinson claims the defendant was negligent in failing to clean the ankle bracelet after removal from individuals and before placing the device on other individuals. Robinson is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 12-C-720
Sharon Williams vs. Bath & Body Works, LLC
PA- Thomas A. Rist; J- Charles E. King
* Williams purchased a fragrance oil warmer from the defendant and on July 21, 2010, she was using the oil warmer on a wood table in her dining room when the product became completely engulfed in flames. Williams claims when she attempted to get the oil warmer out of her home to extinguish the flames, she was splashed with hot oil and burned severely. Williams is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 12-C-755
The Bell Law Firm PLLC vs. Tracey Law Firm
PA- Harry F. Bell Jr., Jonathan W. Price; J- Charles E. King
* In July 2009, the defendant entered into a contract with the Bell Law Firm by which the Bell Law Firm was to serve as local counsel in contemplated products liability actions concerning the Fentanyl Pain Patch in exchange for 15 percent of the defendant's attorney fees in any eventual recovery. The Bell Law Firm claims the defendant has failed to provide details and compensation according to its terms. The Bell Law Firm is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 12-C-756
James W. Cronin and Margaret Ann Cronin; Paul E. Herstine; Joseph L. Kolakowski and Delores R. Kolakowski; Shirley I. Quinn and David L. Quinn; George P. Schmidt Jr. and Ann S. Schmidt; Tim Watts and Nita Watts; Aubrey L. Woodward and Lydia J. Woodward; and Lawrence C. Yeater, executor of the Estate of Robert R. Yeater, deceased vs. 20th Century Glove Corporation; 4520 Corp., Inc.; and Air & Liquid Systems Corporation; et al
PA- David P. Chervenick, Bruce E. Mattock, Scott S. Segal; J- visiting
* The 14 plaintiffs claim the 173 defendants are responsible for lung injuries due to asbestos exposure. They are seeking jury trials to resolve all issues involved.
Case numbers: 12-C-762, 12-C-763, 12-C-764, 12-C-765, 12-C-766, 12-C-767, 12-C-768, 12-C-769
Betty S. Beard and Steven E. Beard vs. Charleston Area Medical Center, Inc.; Central Parking System of Kentucky, LLC; Central Parking Corporation; and Amano USA Holdings, Inc.
PA- Marvin W. Masters, April D. Ferrebee; J- Charles E. King
* On May 1, 2010, Betty Beard was riding as a passenger behind her husband on his motorcycle and the couple was exiting the visitor parking facility at CAMC's Memorial Division at 31st Street and MacCorkle Avenue in Kanawha City when the parking gate unexpectedly descended and hit Betty Beard, which caused her to be bent backwards over the back of the motorcycle and become injured. The Beards are seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 12-C-773
Laura Delp, as administratrix of the Estate of Rhett Harvey vs. Con-way Freight, Inc.; Harvey Leist, individually and as an agent of Con-way Freight, Inc.; and Gregory W. Price
PA- Christopher J. Heavens; J- Jennifer Bailey
* On Nov. 17, 2011, at approximately 7:27 a.m., Price was driving a 2001 Toyota Celica eastbound on U.S. Route 460 near milepost 26 near Kellysville and Harvey was the front-seat passenger in the vehicle. Delp claims Leist was operating a 2006 Sterling tractor with two trailers and had parked the vehicle along the eastbound road edge of U.S. Route 460 when Price collided the Celica with the tractor-trailer, which ultimately caused Harvey's death. Delp is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 12-C-777
Peggy Wills vs. Gabriel Brothers, Inc.
PA- Anthony M. Salvatore; J- Louis H. Bloom
* On May 8, 2010, Wills entered the defendant's establishment and was shopping when she slipped on a liquid substance in the checkout aisle and was injured. Wills is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 12-C-793
Rena Seidler vs. Turner & Johns PLLC
PA- Maria W. Hughes, Mark Goldner; J- Carrie Webster
* Seidler was hired to work as a lawyer for the defendant beginning Jan. 17, 2011. Seidler claims on April 17 she notified the defendant that she believed certain lawyers from other law firms had acted in an unethical manner in a legal case and she was thinking of filing an ethics complaint against them in the Lawyer Disciplinary Board of the West Virginia State Bar. Following the discussion, Bob Johns warned Seidler that they do not file ethics complaints, according to the suit. Seidler claims she filed the ethics complaint on April 18 and shortly thereafter, her employment was terminated. Seidler claims she has also not received her final pay check. Seidler is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 12-C-794
Daniel C. Kandas, administrator of the Estate of Tate Daniel Kandas vs. Luke Stillwell, D.O.
PA- Richard D. Lindsay, Richard D. Lindsay II; J- James C. Stucky
* On Oct. 18, 2011, Tate Daniel Kandas died of a brain tumor at CAMC's Women's and Children's Hospital. Daniel C. Kandas claims Stillwell was negligent in his care of Tate Daniel Kandas. Daniel C. Kandas is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 12-C-836
Lila Wiseman, executrix of the Estate of Emma Lee Cassity vs. Raleigh General Hospital, LLC; Hanibal Mahdi, M.D.; Lamberto Maramba, M.D.; and Bose S. Mikkilineni, M.D.
PA- Richard D. Lindsay, Matthew C. Lindsay; J- Paul Zakaib Jr.
* On Oct. 28, 2010, Cassity presented to the emergency department of Raleigh General Hospital with complaints of abdominal pain over the hypogastric area with abdominal distension. A CT scan of the abdomen was performed the following day, which revealed free intraperitoneal air, but the finding was not timely noticed and/or treated by the defendants and Cassity's condition continued to deteriorate until her death on Nov. 11, 2010. Wiseman is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 12-C-845