CHARLESTON -- A Ripley couple is suing 54 companies they name are responsible for a lung cancer diagnosis.
On April 5 James M. Lawrentz was diagnosed with lung cancer, according to a complaint filed May 29 in Kanawha Circuit Court.
Lawrentz and his wife, Sandra Lawrentz claim the 54 defendants exposed James Lawrentz to asbestos during his career as a millwright and laborer.
The defendants are being sued based on theories of negligence, contaminated buildings, breach of expressed/implied warranty, strict liability, intentional tort, conspiracy, misrepresentation and post-sale duty to warn, according to the suit.
The Lawrentzes are seeking a jury trial to resolve all issues involved. They are being represented by Thomas P. Maroney and Victoria Antion.
The case has been assigned to a visiting judge.
The 54 companies named as defendants in the suit are 3M Company; A.W. Chesterton Company; Aurora Pump Company; Borg-Warner Corporation; Buffalo Pumps, Inc.; Caterpillar, Inc.; Cleaver-Brooks Company, Inc.; Copes-Vulcan, Inc.; Crane Co.; Duavo Corporation; Eaton Electrical, Inc.; Flowserve US, Inc.; FMC Corporation; Ford Motor Company; Foster Wheeler Energy Corporation; Gardner Denver, Inc.; Genuine Parts Company; Goulds Pumps, Inc.; Grinnell Corporation; Hercules, Inc.; Honeywell International; Howden Buffalo, Inc.; IMO Industries, Inc.; Inductotherm Industries, Inc.; Industrial Holdings Corporation; Ingersoll-Rand Company; ITT Corporation; Joy Technologies, Inc.; McJunkin Corporation; Morgan Engineering Systems; Ohio Valley Insulating Company, Inc.; P&H Mining Equipment, Inc.; Pettibone/Traverse Lift, LLC; Pneumo Abex Corporation; Reading Crane and Engineering Company; Rockwell Automation, Inc.; Rust Constructors, Inc.; Rust Engineering & Construction, Inc.; Rust International, Inc.; Schneider Electric USA, Inc.; State Electric Supply Company; Sterling Fluid Systems, LLC; Sunbeam Products, Inc.; Surface Combustion, Inc.; Swindell Dressler International Company; Tasco Insulations, Inc.; The Alliance Machine Company; The Gage Company; UB West Virginia, Inc.; United Engineers & Constructors and Washington Group International; Viking Pump, Inc.; Vimasco Corporation; West Virginia Electric Supply; and Yarway Corporation.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 12-C-984
- Drug company cuts off supply to Mingo Co. pharmacy
- Justices: Board of review relied on misstatement, mischaracterization
- Man accuses John Skidmore Development of workers’ comp discrimination
- Police officer sues City of Kenova for forcing him to quit
- Woman accuses 3D Construction of discrimination, invasion of privacy
- Wayne Co. man sues Mountaineer Contractors for breach
- Woman says Nytis Exploration violated state code
- Panel reviews public financing complaints in Supreme Court race
- Steptoe & Johnson will sponsor North American Prospect Expo in Houston
- Putnam County woman alleges companies tried to collect debt that has been paid in full