Carissa and Daniel Hammonds vs. Peoples/Perdew, Inc. d/b/a Cawley and Peoples Funeral Home d/b/a Riverview Cemetery
PA- David M. Adkins; J – Reed
* The plaintiffs, residents of Stephens City, Va., are suing the defendants, a Marietta, Ohio-based business for injuries Carissa sustained on July 14, 2010 while attending a funeral at property the defendant owns in Williamstown, after falling into an uncovered hole. Daniel makes a claim for loss of consortium. They seek unspecified damages, interest and court costs.
Case number: 12-C-292
David Taylor vs. the city of Parkersburg and Joseph Martin
PA- John E. Triplett, Jr.; J – Waters
* The plaintiff, a Washington resident, is suing the defendants for wrongful termination after Martin, the city's police chief, notified Taylor via letter on July 14, 2010, he was being fired for excessive absences, but failed to previously warn him about it, and give him an opportunity to take corrective action. Along with an order reinstating him as police officer, Taylor seeks unspecified damages to include back pay and front pay from the date of his termination, court costs and attorneys fees.
Case number: 12-C-293
Eric Starcher vs. Leigh Marcham and Family Crisis Intervention Center
PA – Pro se; J – Beane
* The plaintiff, a Parkersburg resident, is suing the defendants, a non-profit agency that provides domestic services, and one of its employees, for sexual discrimination when after he filed for a domestic violence protective order against his wife on June 5, Marcham, gave advice and assistance to his wife during a hearing in Wood Family Court on June 14. He seeks unspecified damages, court costs and attorneys fees.
Case number: 12-C-295
- Big Lots delayed distribution of final paycheck, suit alleges
- Triad Engineering sues for payment for services rendered last year
- Babcock Lumber claims Fertig Cabinet owes sum for goods
- Wrongful death charge brought against Eldercare of Jackson County, administrator
- Fayette County man claims fellow employee assaulted him
- Belmont Co. woman accuses Russell Nesbitt Services of gender discrimination
- Marshall landowners accuse utility companies in lease dispute
- AG's office reaches $13 million settlement with CashCall
- Counsel: Now it's work for conservation group that bought mines
- WVU law professor's book on human rights published