West Virginia Record

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Case alleging fire starter gel exploded, caused severe burns to child settled

By John O'Brien | Apr 16, 2014


ELKINS – The parents of a then-7-year-old child who burned himself when he allegedly attempted to use fire starter gel left near a fireplace at their Randolph County home have settled their claims.

The presiding judge in the case had asked the state Supreme Court if negligent parents should take some of the blame for the injuries of their children, to which the court responded in October in the affirmative.

The settlement was announced in an April 11 dismissal order signed by U.S. District Judge John Preston Bailey, of the Northern District of West Virginia. Terms were not disclosed.

The settlement came just ahead of a trial that was to be possibly split into two parts. The first would determine liability for compensatory damages, the amount of compensatory damages and whether punitive damages were appropriate. A second would have determined that amount of punitive damages.

The defendants in the case were Hearthmark, Wal-Mart Stores and Packaging Service Company.

On Oct. 17, the state Supreme Court released its answers to four questions certified to it by Bailey.

The fire gel displayed a label that read “keep out of reach of children.”

The court ruled that a negligent parent can be included as a third-party defendant for the allocation of fault, even though the court also ruled that the parental immunity doctrine bars the defendant from asserting a contribution claim against the parents.

“Put in the context of the comparative negligence doctrine in Bradley v. Appalachian Power Co., the plaintiff, A.N., may not recover damages if his own contributory negligence equals or exceeds the combined negligence of the defendants and the third-party defendant’s, A.N.’s parents, in this case,” Justice Menis Ketchum wrote.

The parental immunity doctrine also does not bar a defense of abnormal product use or a defense that the conduct of a parent was an intervening cause of the child’s injuries, the court ruled.

The lawsuit was brought by Kimberly Landis and Alva Nelson, the parents of A.N., in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia. Representing the plaintiffs were Dino S. Colombo and Travis T. Mohler of Colombo Law in Morgantown.

The plaintiffs say that on Feb. 28, 2010, A.N. asked his mother if he could roast a marshmallow in the fireplace, which he believed had gone out after burning throughout the day.

While his mother, father and brother were upstairs, A.N. stacked kindling and applied Diamond Fire Starter Gel to the wood.

The bottle was left on a stand next to the fireplace that was within A.N.’s reach. When he sprayed the gel, it allegedly touched a hot ember that was sucked through the bottle cap, igniting the vapors in the bottle.

An explosion gave A.N. severe burns over 65 percent of his body.

The resulting lawsuit was filed against:

-Stull Technologies, the maker of the bottle cap;

-CKS Packaging, the maker of the bottle;

-Packaging Services Company, the producer of the fire starter gel;

-Hearthmark, doing business as Jarden Home Brands, the distributor of the fire starter gel; and

-Wal-Mart stores, where the gel was purchased.

Want to get notified whenever we write about ?

Sign-up Next time we write about , we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.