Woman blames propane company for toxic mold

By Mark Reccek | Feb 12, 2015

RIPLEY – A woman is suing a company over claims it negligently crushed a sewer line in her home, resulting in her becoming sick.

Myra A. Watts filed a lawsuit Jan. 7 in Jackson Circuit Court against AmeriGas Propane.

According to the complaint, on Aug. 8, 2012, AmeriGas Propane replaced a propane line on Watts' property. While in the process of installing the line, defendant crushed a sewer line, causing sewage and water to accumulate under Watts' property, resulting in the formation of toxic mold, the suit states.

On Jan. 7, 2013, Watts discovered black mold on the floor and on Jan. 8, 2013, she became ill, the suit states. Watts visited her doctor Jan. 15, 2013 who discovered her lungs were diminished and diagnosed her with mold exposure, according to the lawsuit.

Watts alleges AmeriGas Propane negligently damaged her sewer line, causing her to develop mold exposure and subsequently become ill.

She seeks compensatory damages, along with punitive damages, interest and attorney fees. Watts is represented by attorney Eric J. Holmes of the Law Offices of Harris and Holmes in Ripley.

Jackson Circuit Court case number: 15-C-2

More News

The Record Network