CHARLESTON - A student claims he was injured in his Concord University dorm room by an extermination company, which he is suing along with Concord.
William G. Jones filed the lawsuit May 5 in Kanawha Circuit Court through attorney Martin R. Smith of Charleston law firm Smith and Thompson.
Jones maintains that on Sept. 9, 2004, while a student at Concord, Standard Exterminating Company performed exterminating services in his dorm room while he slept, exposing him to hazardous chemicals.
"The respective conduct of the defendants was atrocious, intolerable and so extreme and outrageous as to exceed the bounds of decency," the complaint says.
Jones says he provided a written notice to the university, ordering them to stop, but the company again sprayed his room.
Since the spraying, Jones says he has experienced several health problems.
"Plaintiff began to feel weak, suffer respiratory effects and over the next 10 days weakened to the point that he had partial paralysis," the complaint says. "Previously healthy, Plaintiff, after exposure, developed hypersensitivity to chemicals resulting in respiratory difficulty, non-dilation of pupils and a blood-streaked throat."
Jones is seeking compensatory and punitive damages. He charges the defendants with negligence, gross negligence, strict liability, tort of outrage and partnership and/or joint venture.
Jones is a resident of Alderton. Judge Tod Kaufman has been assigned the case.
Kanawha Circuit Court case number 06-C-853