Christopher Riffe and Elisha Riffe v. West Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways, Jeffrey Lane
PA – Robert D. Cline Jr.; J – Bloom
* Christopher and Elisha Riffe filed a suit against the West Virginia Department of Transportation after Christopher Riffe was injured when the car he was a passenger in collided with another car because of a defective berm. Riffe was riding with Jeffrey Lane on U.S. Route 52 in Hanover when Lane ran off the road and lost control of his vehicle. The suit says the berm was crumbling and six to eight inches lower than the road. Riffe claims he was injured. He and his wife seeks compensatory and punitive damages for their injuries.
Case number: 07-C-2183
Jonathan Cleek v. Charles D. MacQueen, Gray Television Group, Inc., doing business as WSAZ
PA – Paul M. Stroebel; J – Walker
* Jonathan Cleek filed a suit against Charles MacQueen, an employee of WSAZ. Cleek claims MacQueen ran a red light and hit him at the intersection of Quarrier and Summers Streets. MacQueen was working at the time of the accident, and Gray Television Group is also named as a defendant. Cleek seeks compensatory and actual damages.
Case number: 07-C-2184
Bassam Haffar, individually and as power of attorney for Izat Haffar v. Air France, a wholly owned subsidiary of Air France KLM Group, Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Central West Virginia Regional Airport Authority, Comair, Inc., Delta Airlines, Inc.
PA – Brett J. Preston; J – Berger
* A Charleston man has filed a suit as power of attorney for a man who was injured at Yeager Airport. Izat Haffar was a passenger traveling from Damascus, Syria to Charleston, with stops in Paris and Atlanta. According to the suit, he needs special accommodations because of his health and age, which were made on the flights to Paris and Atlanta. However, the suit says the accommodations were not made for the last leg of the trip, from Atlanta to Charleston. Upon landing at Yeager Airport, no help was offered when Haffar had to exit the plane. According to the suit, Haffar fell on the stairs exiting the plane and was injured. He seeks actual, consequential and compensatory damages.
Case number: 07-C-2190
Appalachian Power Company, a Virginia Corporation dba American Electic Power Company v. West Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways, a Public Agency of the State of West Virginia
PA – W. Bradley Sorrells; J – Stucky
* Appalachian Power Company filed a suit against the West Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways, after an employee of the DOH hit a utility pole owned by the power company. According to the suit, while mowing Sept. 14, 2005, in Odd, W.Va., the DOH employee damaged the pole beyond repair, so that it had to be replaced. The out-of-pocket expense to replace the pole is $1,857. Therefore, Appalachian Power Company seeks to be reimbursed for the cost of the pole.
Case number: 07-C-2194
Luwanna Sue Lariscy, as personal representative of the estate of Olive Mae Murphy, deceased v. Bondex International Inc., et al
PA – Brian Alan Prim; J – Visiting
* Luwanna Sue Lariscy filed a suit on behalf of Olive Mae Murphy, who died of complications from an asbestos-related disease. According to the suit, Murphy developed mesothelioma from exposure to asbestos while washing her husband's asbestos-laden clothing. The suit is against 13 companies, including UB West Virginia, formerly known as Union Boiler Company and Vimasco Corporation, for which Murphy's husband worked. Lariscy seeks compensatory and punitive damages for Murphy's estate.
Case number: 07-C-2195
Barry Charles Barrows, a minor by his next friend Brenda Renee Barrows, mother and Brenda Renee Barrows, Individual v. Randolph County Board of Education; Susan Hinzman, Superintendent; Barry Band, Principal at Elkins Third Ward Elementary; Penelope Friddle, teacher; Georgia Williams, Teacher's Aide; Charlotte L. Scott, Teacher's Aide; Donna Simmons, Director of Special Education; West Virginia Board of Education; Steven Paine, Superintendent; K. Linn Boyer, Executive Director Office of Special Education
PA – Belinda A Haynie, George B. Armistead; J – Bloom
* Brenda Renee Barrows filed a suit against the Randolph County Board of Education on behalf of her 11-year-old son, who has Down's Syndrome. Barrows claims her son was neglected by school officials and employees, and responsible for assault and battery, severe emotional distress and false imprisonment. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-2196
Tina Glover-Howard v. Verizon Communications, Inc., Christina Elswick
PA – J. Michael Ranson; J – Zakaib
* Tina Glover-Howard filed a suit against Verizon Communications, Inc., claiming she was discriminated against when fired. Glover-Howard claims she was fired because of a handicap, which was not disclosed in the suit. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-2212
Chad Anthony Beam v. Gregory Dale McCloud, Allen Carnefax
PA – Tim C. Carrico; J – Berger
* Chad Beam filed a suit against Gregory McCloud, claiming McCloud hit him at the Capitol and Virginia Street intersection. Beam, who was in a wheelchair, claims McCloud was intoxicated and driving the wrong way on Capitol Street. Beam seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-2218