Kim M. Michaud and Thomas A. Michaud v. River City Associates
PA-Thomas P. Boggs; J-Jane Hustead
* Kim Michaud was staying as a guest of the Stone Lodge Motel, which is operated by River City Associates. She claims she was attacked while on the premises of the hotel and alleges that it was a result of River City's insufficient security policies. She is seeking punitive and compensatory damages.
Case number: 08-C-1010
Michael A. Adkins, et al. v. SuperValu Inc., James Cummings
PA-J. Michael Ranson, Cynthia Ranson, George Morrone, III J-Jane Hustead
* The plaintiffs – 10 employees of SuperValu -- all worked at the company's Milton location and were laid off in 2004 and 2005. The plaintiffs allegedly told SuperValu that, in the event of a rehiring, they wanted to have their jobs back. According to the suit, SuperValu began to rehire in May 2007 but did not hire back any of the plaintiffs. All of the plaintiffs were over the age of 40 at the time of the lay off and claim they weren't rehired because of their age. They are seeking reinstatement, back and compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-1018
Sue Burton, Administratix of the estate of Stephen M. Hale Jr. v. David Humphreys, M.D. and St. Mary's Medical Center, Inc.
PA-Rudolph L. DiTrapano; J-David M. Pancake
* In November 2006, Hale was admitted to St. Mary's for depression, suicidal thoughts, polysubstance abuse and alcohol abuse. Dr. Humphrey allegedly treated Hale with a mixture of medications including diazepam and propoxyphene. On Nov. 10, 2006, Hale was found dead in his room and an autopsy allegedly showed that he died as a result of the medications given to him by Dr. Humphrey. Burton claims Dr. Humphrey was negligent in his care of Hale and is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 08-C-1019
Lora Irene Trimboli v. The Kroger Co. dba Kroger
PA-R. Matthew Vital; J-David M. Pancake
* Trimboli was shopping at Kroger in January 2008 when a sandwich kiosk with improperly maintained trim allegedly fell and struck her. This caused her to trip and fall, according to the suit. Trimboli claims she was seriously injured as a result of the fall and is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 08-C-1028
Brady Settle v. Marshall University Board of Governors, Larsen's Manufacturing Company, Darrell McGraw
PA-Mark Underwood J-David M. Pancake
* Settle, a student at Marshall, was studying in the bottom floor of the Science Building. The building contains several Larsen's Fire Hose and Valve Cabinets with a large glass door. According to the suit, Settle accidentally ran his hand through the glass, causing permanent scarring and damage. Settle claims that had the glass been safety glass, he wouldn't have suffered the injuries. He is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-1032
John David Mooney v. Michael Frazier and Frazier & Oxley, LLC
PA-Nicholas S. Preservati J-Jane Hustead
* Mooney was lying in bed with his ex-wife when she allegedly placed a pistol against his temple. He claims his ex-wife shot her former husband with the same pistol so he wrestled it from her. Mooney, a convicted felon, is not allowed to be in possession of a pistol and claims he tried to take the gun to his employer. He was subsequently arrested and charged with being in possession of a firearm. Mooney is suing Frazier, his attorney in the case, because the lawyer advised to plead guilty, resulting in a 180-month prison term. He is seeking legal relief and compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 08-C-1038