Roger Paul Crist and Roxanna Crist, his wife vs. Town of Pratt; Helen B. Berry, administratrix of the Estate of John Billo; and William M. Perry and Rosella Perry, his wife
PA- John R. Mitchell; J- James C. Stucky
* Since approximately 2003, Billo began a landfill on his property, which is adjacent of the Crists' property. The couple claims after Billo passed away, the Perrys continued to use the property as a landfill, which has caused problems for the Crist property. The Crists are seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-1217
Genevieve Hudson vs. English Rose Bridal Wear, LLC
PA- Mark W. Kelley, Keith B. Walker; J- Carrie Webster
* Hudson was employed by the defendant for eight years. She claims in January she took her two weeks' vacation time for the purpose of having a surgical procedure performed and after the two weeks, she took sick leave and remained absent from employment to recover from the surgical procedure. In February Hudson claims she decided to end her employment and gave the defendant notice. She claims on March 9 she was mailed a copy of the summary of her final wages from September 2010 until December 2010, which was severely understated. She claims the defendant also failed to pay her commissions for certain months during 2010 and did not pay her for her two weeks of vacation pay. She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-1219
Greg Scott and Marylyn Scott vs. MacWayne Apartments and John Empson
PA- Thomas F. Basile; J- Jennifer Bailey
* The Scotts claim the defendants wrongfully filed an eviction notice in Kanawha County Magistrate Court on July 23, 2010. The couple claims the eviction notice was dismissed on Aug. 4, 2010. They are seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-1220
Curtis Green and Janiece Thompson vs. MacWayne Apartments and John Empson
PA- Thomas F. Basile; J- Charles E. King
* The plaintiffs claim the defendants filed a wrongful, baseless and malicious eviction notice in Kanawha County Magistrate Court on July 22, 2010. After appearing at a hearing on Aug. 4, 2010, the Magistrate dismissed the eviction notice. The plaintiffs are seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-1221
Carrie Beth Giles vs. Capital One Bank (USA), N.A.
PA- Robin L. Godfrey; J- Louis H. Bloom
* Giles was indebted to the defendant in the amount of $3,600. She retained an attorney on Jan. 28 and informed the defendant on Feb. 1 to speak with her attorney concerning the debt. She claims despite giving them her attorney's contact information, the defendant continued to attempt to contact her on at least 15 occasions. Giles is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 11-C-1224
Robert Alexander and Rebecca Alexander vs. West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources; Natalie Murphy, individually and in her official capacity as Wayne County CPS Supervisor; and Marsha McCallister, individually and in her capacity as Wayne County CPS Worker
PA- Michael T. Clifford, Richelle K. Garlow; J- James C. Stucky
* The Alexanders have previously adopted three children from the Kanawha County division of the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources. In May 2010, the Alexanders were contacted by Braley & Thompson about the placement in the state's custody with the knowledge that the couple was interested in adopting the child. Shortly after placement, the defendants learned that the Alexanders were a mixed race couple and on June 24, 2010, McCallister called the couple and informed them that a meeting was being held on June 28, 2010, and that they were to bring the child in and "give the child up," according to the suit. The couple claims the defendants violated their laws and caused them harm. They are seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 11-C-1233
Steven M. Huffman vs. Charleston Area Medical Center, Inc. and James P. Tierney, D.O.
PA- Paul K. Reese; J- Louis H. Bloom
* On June 10, 2009, Huffman presented to the hospital for a robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy to be performed by Tierney. After the surgery, Huffman claims he immediately complained of having severe abdominal pain and constipation. Four days after the surgery, Huffman claims he visited the hospital's emergency department and upon surgical exploration, two hemostatsis clips were found in his abdomen. He is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-1234
Kenneth Ray Atkinson vs. Antoine E. Skaff, D.D.S.
PA- Marc B. Lazenby; J- Charles E. King
* On June 2, 2009, Atkinson presented to the defendant's office with severe pain in the lower left side of his mouth and the defendant extracted three teeth. Skaff did not take any x-rays of Atkinson's mouth, nor did he prescribe antibiotics for him, according to the suit. Atkinson claims the pain continued, but the defendant refused to schedule him another appointment until June 9, 2009, and on that day he took x-rays, which showed that he failed to remove part of the root from one of the teeth he extracted. Skaff apologized and scheduled Atkinson for surgery the next day, according to the suit. Atkinson suffered a seizer the next day and it was confirmed at Charleston Area Medical Center that he had an abscess in the left side of his brain. Atkinson claims the defendant was negligent in caring for him and not providing him with antibiotics. He is seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-1245
Stacie Manns vs. Kanawha County Public Library Board of Directors
PA- William H. Harding; J- Tod J. Kaufman
* On Aug. 8, 2009, Manns was at the Kanawha County Public Library in Dunbar when she slipped and fell on a slippery area in the restroom and was injured. She is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest.
Case number: 11-C-1251