Louisiana couple sues Holiday Inn for carbon monoxide leak

By Kyla Asbury | Apr 17, 2012

CHARLESTON -- A Patterson, La., couple is suing Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites for injuries sustained during a carbon monoxide leak at the hotel in January.

Manisha Patel; Steve Combs; Karen Combs; Premier Pools, LLC; Holiday Hospitality Franchising, Inc.; Intercontinental Hotels Group Resources, Inc.; Six Continents Hotels, Inc.; and Intercontinental Hotels Group were also named as defendants in the suit.

On Jan. 31, Shirley Linn was staying at the hotel when carbon monoxide was emitted into her guest room, as well as other guest rooms, according to a complaint filed April 10 in Kanawha Circuit Court.

Linn claims she was severely and permanently injured due to the toxic levels of carbon monoxide poisoning in her hotel room.

Carbon monoxide had leaked on the hotel's first floor from a pool heater, according to the suit.

Linn claims the defendants were negligent and careless in allowing the hotel rooms to become contaminated and polluted with carbon monoxide to a level of toxicity that caused her injuries.

The carbon monoxide leak occurred because of an exhaust pipe that became dislodged due to improper installation of a heating unit for the hotel's swimming pool.

Two other suits were previously filed regarding the carbon monoxide leak at Holiday Inn Express, by the widow William Moran, who died because of the carbon monoxide exposure, and by Bain Edmondson and Dawn Edmondson.

Linn and her husband, Tony Linn, are seeking compensatory and punitive damages with pre- and post-judgment interest. They are being represented by Scott S. Segal, Mark R. Staun and Deborah L. McHenry.

The case has been assigned to Circuit Judge James C. Stucky.

Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 12-C-634

More News

The Record Network