Woman says hair caught fire while bleaching it

By Kyla Asbury | Oct 2, 2013

CHARLESTON - A woman is suing Developus Inc. for injuries she allegedly sustained when her hair caught fire while she was bleaching it.

On June 15, 2012, Beatrice Baker purchased a Splat Rebellious Colors-Lightening Bleach Hair Color that was manufactured and distributed by Developus Inc., according to a complaint filed Sept. 6 in Kanawha Circuit Court.

Baker claims after purchasing the hair color, she attempted to color her hair at home and during the process of bleaching her hair, she used a hair dryer to aid in the process.

While using the hair dryer, Baker's hair caught fire and she suffered burns on her head and scalp and may have possible permanent hair loss, according to the suit.

Baker claims the defendant's product contained no warning regarding the use of a hair dryer with the product.

The defendant negligently and recklessly manufactured the hair coloring product that was sold to Baker and the defendant's negligence became apparent when the product ignited, burning the plaintiff, when being used in a manner that was reasonable and expected, according to the suit.

Baker claims the defendant's negligent and reckless actions caused her to suffer damages, including annoyance and inconvenience; medical expenses; personal injuries; and emotional distress.

The defendant failed to provide any type of warning regarding the use of this product in conjunction with a blow dryer.

Baker is seeking compensatory damages with pre- and post-judgment interest. She is being represented by Paul Stroebel of Stroebel & Johnson PLLC.

Kanawha Circuit Court case number: 13-C-1691

More News

The Record Network