HARPERS FERRY – West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey's U.S. Senate campaign has been endorsed by a grassroots conservative organization.
FreedomWorks PAC threw its support to Morrisey this week, following several other endorsements since he announced his Senate bid July 10.
Five West Virginia state senators and 25 state delegates, as well as organizations such as the West Virginia Citizens Defense League, West Virginians for Life PAC, and Gun Owners of America all have endorsed Morrisey.
“There is one choice for those who share FreedomWorks’ values: Patrick Morrisey,” said FreedomWorks PAC President Adam Brandon. “As Attorney General, Morrisey took President Obama’s administration to court, even the Supreme Court, fighting regulatory overreach like the Waters of the U.S. rule and the Clean Power Plan.
"Our activists should be confident that Attorney General Morrisey will stay true to his and our conservative principles to limit government intrusions into our lives, lower taxes and simplify the tax code, and continue his hard fight against burdensome regulations. Please vote for Patrick Morrisey to get a Senate seat for conservative principles – and jobs.”
Morrisey said he was honored to be endorsed by the group.
“FreedomWorks and its vast grassroots network has done so much good work for our country," he said in a statement. "It’s clear conservatives are tired of liberal politicians in both parties. Together, we can defeat Sen. Joe Manchin and protect our coal jobs, defend our gun rights, and preserve our conservative West Virginia values.”
Some other comments from leaders of other groups that have supported Morrisey:
* “After decades of unborn babies receiving NO protection from West Virginia’s Attorney General, it is refreshing that Patrick Morrisey has stood firm on the side of life. We commend him for his outstanding record of commitment to the pro-life cause and feel he would make an excellent U.S. Senator,” said Dr. Wanda Franz, president of West Virginians for Life PAC.
* “As West Virginia’s Attorney General, Morrisey greatly expanded concealed carry reciprocity agreements, he strongly supported Constitutional Carry, and joined a Supreme Court case challenging the Obama Administration’s attack on the Second Amendment,” said Tim Macy, chairman of Gun Owners of America. “Morrisey stands in stark contrast to incumbent Joe Manchin.”
* “The West Virginia Citizens Defense League has worked with many elected officials in this state to advance the recovery of our long-eroded right to bear arms,” WVCDL said on its Facebook page. “Patrick Morrisey has been, and continues to be, one of the most consistent and passionate leaders in that fight. His efforts to defend and expand concealed handgun license reciprocity can be described as nothing short of tenacious. WVCDL proudly offers its endorsement of Patrick Morrisey for the United States Senate.”
* “Morrisey is proving he is the only candidate who can unify conservatives and the Republican Party to defeat Joe Manchin,” said Sen. Patricia Rucker. “I trust Patrick Morrisey. He says what he believes, and he fights for it.”
The list of elected state officials who have endorsed Morrisey's campaign includes:
* Sen. Patricia Rucker, Jefferson County
* Sen. Craig Blair, Berkeley County
* Sen. Charles Trump, Morgan County
* Sen. Randy Smith, Tucker County
* Sen. Mike Azinger, Wood County
* Del. Eric Householder, Berkeley County
* Del. John Overington, Berkeley County
* Del. Marshall Wilson, Berkeley County
* Del. Paul Espinosa, Jefferson County
* Del. Jill Upson, Jefferson County
* Del. Pat McGeehan, Hancock County
* Del. Ray Hollen, Wood County
* Del. John Kelly, Wood County
* Del. Vernon Criss, Wood County
* Del. William Romine, Doddridge County
* Del. Jim Butler, Mason County
* Del. Geoff Foster, Putnam County
* Del. Nancy Foster, Putnam County
* Del. Joshua Higginbotham, Putnam County
* Del. Tony Paynter, Wyoming County
* Del. Ron Walters, Kanawha County
* Del. Jordan Hill, Nicholas County
* Del. Patrick Martin, Lewis County
* Del. Danny Hamrick, Harrison County
* Del. Guy Ward, Marion County
* Del. Tony Lewis, Preston County
* Del. Lynne Arvon – Raleigh County
* Del. Michael Folk – Berkeley County
* Del. Gary Howell – Mineral County
* Del. Ruth Rowan – Hampshire County
In addition to Morrisey, Congressman Evan Jenkins and former coal miner Bo Copley already have announced plans to run as Republicans for the Senate seat currently occupied by Democrat Joe Manchin, who seeks re-election. Manchin will face primary competition from environmental activist Paula Jean Swearengin, who already has been endorsed by the Brand New Congress political action committee formed by former staff members and supporters of Bernie Sanders. Former Massey Energy CEO Don Blankenship also has hinted as running as a Republican or an Independent.