Wellsburg man alleges Thermos product exploded, blinded him in one eye

By Philip Gonzales | Jun 13, 2018

CHARLESTON — A Wellsburg couple is suing Thermos, alleging a design and manufacturing defect.

Jeremiah Shane and Cierra Shane filed a complaint May 4 in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia against Thermos LLC, alleging failure to design and manufacture a food jar that is safe and fit for its intended purpose.

According to the complaint, the Shanes purchased a Thermos food jar on March 4, 2016. On Jan. 12, 2017, the suit says, Jeremiah Shane was injured while opening the Thermos food jar when it suddenly exploded, propelling the lid into his eye and face, causing him to lose vision in one of his eyes. 

Shane says he has suffered permanent scarring, disfigurement, lost wages, emotional distress and medical expenses. 

Cierra Shane says she has suffered lost of consortium and household services. The plaintiffs allege Thermos failed to provide adequate warning of the defective nature of the food jar.

The Shanes seek trial by jury, compensatory, exemplary and punitive damages, pre- and post-judgment interest, court costs, attorney fees and all other proper and just relief. They are represented by attorneys P. Gregory Haddad and Kerrie Boyle and of Bailey & Glasser LLP in Morgantown and by Scott Radman of Morgantown.

U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia case number 5:18-cv-00082-FPS

Want to get notified whenever we write about any of these organizations ?

Sign-up Next time we write about any of these organizations, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

Organizations in this Story

Bailey & Glasser LLP U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of West Virginia

More News

The Record Network