BECKLEY — Two lawsuits have been filed against Mint Julep Restaurants after they became ill after consuming food at the restaurant in 2016.
Darden Restaurants was also named as a defendant in the suits.
Mint Julep is doing business as Cheddar's and Darden is doing business as Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen.
Anthony Harbison and Ramona McNeil went to Cheddar's on Oct. 31 along with Maxine Trigg and Leon Trigg and consumed food that was prepared by Cheddar's employees, according to the complaints filed last month in Raleigh Circuit Court.
Harbinson and McNeil, along with Maxine Trigg, became severely ill after leaving the restaurant.
On Nov. 2, 2016, Harbison and McNeil were still experiencing abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and fevers that were so severe they were admitted to the emergency department of Beckley Appalachian Regional Hospital and were diagnosed with food poisoning, according to the suits.
Maxine Trigg did not go to the emergency department, though she experienced the same symptoms as Harbison and McNeil, according to the suits.
Harbison claims he has continued to suffer ongoing sicknesses after the severe food poisoning and went back to the emergency department on at least two occasions after.
On July 29, 2017, Harbison was admitted to the Beckley Appalachian Regional Hospital for stomach ulcers because his stomach never healed from the original injury, according to Harbison's suit.
The plaintiffs claim the restaurant was negligent in properly preparing their food and caused their bouts of food poisoning.
The plaintiffs claim the defendants had a duty to maintain and operate their restaurants in a manner as not to cause sickness to patrons who consumed their food.
Harbison claims he suffered damages in excess of $11,000 due to the defendants' negligence.
McNeil suffered damages in excess of $1,500 due to the defendants' negligence, according to her suit.
Harbison and McNeil are seeking compensatory damages. They are representing themselves.
Raleigh Circuit Court case numbers: 18-C-486, 18-C-488