West Virginia Record

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Matheson Tri-Gas is accused of negligence that caused couple's home to explode

Lawsuits

By Carrie Bradon | Apr 5, 2019


CHARLESTON — A couple is suing a propane company, claiming its negligence led to their home exploding in the middle of the night.

Adam Breinig and Sherri Young filed a complaint in Kanawha Circuit Court against Matheson Tri-Gas Inc. and John Doe.

The suit states the plaintiffs resided at 155 Rosewood Way in Charleston. The plaintiff reportedly leased a 1,000-gallon propane tank from the defendant, which was installed on a hill near their home. The defendant allegedly owed the plaintiffs the duty to ensure that the tank was properly installed. On Jan. 8, 2018, the defendant delivered 689 gallons of liquid propane to the tank, but the defendant allegedly failed to ensure the tank was properly installed and on Jan. 12, 2018 the plaintiffs awoke to the smell of propane in the home. They found that the tank had become detached and rolled down the hill and was spewing propane on the side of their home. The plaintiffs had to evacuate the family from the home, which subsequently exploded, killing the family dog and destroying most of the family's possessions.

The defendant is accused of negligent infliction of emotional distress, reckless infliction of emotional distress, negligence,

The plaintiff is seeking all reasonable sums due, attorney fees and court costs and trial by jury. The plaintiff is represented by James Crockett Jr. of Spilman Thomas & Battle PLLC in Charleston.

The case has been assigned to Judge Carrie Webster.

Kanawha Circuit Court case number 19-C-175

Want to get notified whenever we write about Kanawha Circuit Court ?

Sign-up Next time we write about Kanawha Circuit Court, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

Organizations in this Story

Kanawha Circuit Court

More News