Timothy R. Lewis, Karen D. Lewis and Kristy D. Freeman v. International Coal Group, et al.
PA – Catherine A. McGuire; J – Bloom
* Timothy Lewis, Karen Lewis and Kristy Freeman -- the father, mother and sister of David Lewis, a coal miner killed in the January 2006 Sago Mine explosion -- are suing International Coal Group and other companies for their roles in the death of the miners. Twelve miners died in the explosion that left the men underground with insufficient oxygen for more than 40 hours. The suit filed states negligence on part of the defendants, and punitive damages are being sought.
Case number: 06-C-2746
James Estes and Sandra Estes v. Select Medical Corporation dba Select Specialty Hospital – Charleston Inc., et al.
PA – James Woodrow Hill; J – Berger
* The Estes' are suing Select Specialty Hospital and Kurt M. Nellhaus, M.D., for medical negligence. After a severe car accident, Mr. Estes was a patient at SSH. There, he acquired numerous wounds and bedsores, ultimately causing his left leg to be amputated below the knee. The Estes' are seeking compensation for all general and specific damages caused by the conduct of SSH and Nellhaus, as well as punitive damages for misconduct.
Case number: 06-C-2749
Wells Fargo Bank N.A. v. Karl S. Gattlieb
PA – Paul S. Atkins; J – Stucky
* Wells Fargo Bank says Gattlieb, a Kanawha County resident, owes $36,374.48, plus pre-judgment interest in the amount of $11,822.69, on a past due account, which totals $48,197.17, now due.
Case number: 06-C-2751
Dawn Collette Bland and Autumn Nicole Bland, wife and infant daughter of Douglas Wayne Bland, et al v. State of West Virginia
PA – Marvin W. Masters; J- Stucky
* Bland and 11 West Virginia State Troopers filed a suit against the state of West Virginia, and the state retirement system because of the retirement plans the troopers were supposed to receive. The troopers thought they were getting a better retirement plan when hired, and no one told them their plans were not what they were promised. They are seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 07-C-2
Charleston Area Medical Center Inc. v. Lisa Yvonne Taylor
PA – Francis C. Gall, Jr.; J – King
* CAMC says Taylor $81,431 for goods and services sold and delivered by the hospital to Taylor. CAMC demands $81,431 plus interest at the legal rate.
Case number: 07-C-3
Margaret Chrislip v. Sears, Roebuck & Co. and Teresa Boley
PA – Tony L. O'Dell; J – Kaufman
* Chrislip is suing Kmart because she was injured when the automatic doors malfunctioned, striking her and causing her to fall. She injured her knees, had numerous fractures to her ribs and contusions on her body. She is seeking compensation for medical expenses up to $18,552.
Case number: 07-C-4
Richard A. Songer and Judith Songer v. Citifinancial of West Virginia Inc., et al
PA – Daniel F. Hedges; J – Walker
* The Songers, residents of Kanawha County, are suing Citifinancial because of predatory lending. The Songers say the company persuaded them to enter into a repeated, unwise financal agreement. The Songers were induced in a loan they were unable to pay, raising more than $46,000 in debt.
Case number: 07-C-8
Marsha Pobega Harbert, individually, Stephen Douglas Harbert, individually, Marsha Pobega Harbert and Stephen Douglas Harbert as parents and next friends of JDH, an infant, and TAH, an infant, v. West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources
PA – Roger D. Williams; J –Walker
* A Marion County couple of suing the DHHR because of fraud and negligence in a case concerning two children they adopted. The children's biological mother suffered from substance abuse and took prescription pills, causing the children to be mentally retarded. The Harberts specifically asked for children who would not need special care, yet the DHHR did not tell them about the mother's substance problems or mental health and told them they children would be mentally healthy. The Harberts are seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-48
Beneficial West Virginia Inc. v. Roger A. Church, et al
PA – Winter; J – Walker
* Beneficial is suing residents of Elkview for payment to a loan taken out Oct. 7, 2003. The amount owed is $37,088.74, plus interest.
Case number: 07-C-50
Lulu Belle Jones, individually and as administrtix and personal representative of the estate of Jesse L. Jones, et al (Sarah Jones and Kristina Dawn Williams) v. International Coal Group, et al.
PA – Allan N. Karlin; J – Bloom
* Lulu Belle Jones, the mother of Jesse Jones -- a coal miner killed in the January 2006 Sago Mine explosion -- is suing International Coal Group and other companies for their roles in the death of the miners. Twelve miners died in the explosion that left the men underground with insufficient oxygen for more than 40 hours. The suit filed states negligence on part of the defendants and punitive damages are being sought.
Case number: 07-C-51
Donna Crist v. The Kroger Company
PA – G. Patrick Jacobs; J – Stucky
* Crist is suing Kroger after she fell over a flatbed cart at the Kroger at Ashton Place Shopping Center in Charleston. She said the cart was in the middle of the aisle, and she did not see it. She is claiming the negligence of the store caused her to suffer serious and painful permanent injuries. She is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 07-C-53
Want to get notified whenever we write about State of West Virginia ?
Sign-up Next time we write about State of West Virginia, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.