Lou Ann Weisburg, formerly Lou Ann Griffith v. Ideal Homes, LLC A West Virginia Corporation, CMH Homes, Inc., Bernard Grose
PA – Stephen P. Swisher; J – Berger
* Lou Ann Weisburg filed a suit against Ideal Home, CMH Homes and Bernard Grose, the president of Ideal Homes, claiming her manufactured home contained a plethora of defects. Weisburg claims she has incurred more than $100,000 in damages and seeks compensation for her expenses.
Case number: 07-C-926
Hugh C. Christy v. Dr. Paul D. Kyer, III
PA – Robert V. Berthold, Jr; J – King
* Hugh Christy has filed a suit against Paul D. Kyer, III, a physician at Thomas Memorial Hospital, seeking more than $200,000 in medical expenses. Christy claims Kyer improperly treated him. Christy now suffers from the loss of his entire digestive tract, severe discomfort and related problems in his digestive and bowel tract. He claims he is unable to eat and maintain food. Christy seeks more than $200,000 in medical expenses, and any other relief the court finds necessary.
Case number: 07-C-940
Rebecca A. Walker v. Charleston Area Medical Center
PA – Michael A. Olivio; J – Walker
* Rebecca Walker, a former nurse assistant at CAMC, filed a suit against the hospital, claiming she was fired because she voiced her concern over the nurse to patient ratio. Walker claims she thought the ratio was so high it endangered some of the patients. According to the suit, Walker suffers from a mental condition that protects her from being disability discrimination.
She seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-948
B.M., by her next friend and mother Sharon Davidson and Sharon Davidson v. Judith Faye Walls, classroom aide, Logan County Board of Education, David Godby, superintendent, Garland Elmore, principal at Man Elementary, David Adkins, former principal at Man Elementary, Ray Albright, principal of Buffalo Grade School, Lisa Twardy, special education teacher, Betty Gentry, special education teacher, Cecilia Bias, special education teacher and the West Virginia Board of Education
PA – Cynthia E. Evans; J – Stucky
* Sharon Davidson has filed a suit on behalf of her minor daughter, who suffers from ADHD and autism. Davidson is seeking $6 million from the defendants. Davidson claims her daughter was repeatedly abused, physically, mentally and sexually, for several years while in the Logan County school system. Davidson seeks the $6 million in compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-954
Lea Hilliard v. Verizon Services Corp., Verizon West Virginia, Michelle Meno
PA – Lonnie C. Simmons; J – King
* Lea Hilliard filed a suit against Verizon, claiming she was fired because the company did not want to accommodate her disability.
Hilliard claims she fell out of her bed and hit her head on her night stand, causing her to have bad headaches. She had to miss some work to go to her doctor's appointments. She also started to suffer from narcolepsy. Hilliard also missed work to attend the funeral of her youngest daughter's grandfather. When she returned, she was fired. Hilliard claims she was fired because of her disability, though the company gave the excuse she was fired because she missed for the funeral. Hilliard seeks compensatory and punitive damages, as well as reinstatement to her position as a customer service consultant.
Case number: 07-C-954
Thelma F. Bunting and David Bunting v. Family Dollar Inc., Debbie Bledsoe
PA – Christina L. Smith; J – King
* Thelma and David Bunting are suing Family Dollar, after Thelma Bunting was injured while in one of the stores. According to the lawsuit, the shopping cart Thelma Bunting was using locked up, causing her to fall and fracture her hip. She spent 18 days in the hospital and incurred more than $60,000 in medical expenses. The Buntings seeks compensatory damages for their expenses.
Case number 07-C-955
Darlene Varney Mounts, individually and as administratrix of the estate of Ricky Varney v. Omar K. Hallak, Charleston Cardiovascular Consultants, Inc
PA – Frank Venezia; J – Stucky
* Darlene Varney Mounts filed a medical malpractice suit against Omar K. Hallak, a physician with Charleston Cardiovascular Consultants, Inc. Mounts claims her husband, Ricky Varney, died after being given a dose of ReoPro, which is not to be given to those with a history of cerebral aneurysms, which Varney had. Varney died from a massive intracranial bleed, as a result of the medicine he was given. Mounts seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-967
Frances Rollins v. Charleston Area Medical Center, Inc., Nestor Dans, M.D.
PA – L. Lee Javins; J – Stucky
* Frances Rollins filed a medical malpractice suit against Nestor Dans, M.D., a physician at Charleston Area Medical Center. Rollins claims she was supposed to have a culture of lung tissue taken to determine the etiology of an interstitial lung disease, but Dans did not give that order, though he claimed he did. Rollins claims she was deprived of a change of recovery. She seeks compensatory damages.
Case number: 07-C-971