Arden and Donna Carte v. McDonald's Restaurant
PA – Travis E. Ellison III; J – Kaufman
* Arden and Donna Carte filed a lawsuit against McDonald's after Arden Carte found a bandage in his biscuit at the Elkview location. Carte claims he had an allergic reaction to the latex in the bandage and went into anaphylactic shock. Arden and Donna Carte claim McDonald's was negligent by failing to keep foreign objects out of the food. They seek unspecified damages.
Case number: 07-C-1608
Michael Almond Jr. v. West Virginia Regional Jail
PA – Larry O. Ford; J – Walker
* Michael Almond, an inmate in the West Virginia Western Regional Jail, claims he was injured when the commode in his cell collapsed while he was sitting on it. Almond claims the jail negligently installed the commode, causing his injury. He seeks unspecified damages.
Case number: 07-C-1612
Floyd Sayre, Sam Juniper and Don Rollins, on behalf of themselves and all other persons similarly situated v. United Steel Workers of America, AFL-CIO/CLC, District 8, et al
PA – John A. Proctor; J – Bloom
* Floyd Sayre, Sam Juniper and Don Rollins filed a class action lawsuit against United Steel Workers of America, claiming their retirement free health care benefits were taken away, after they were told they would be the same always after they retired. They seek to have free health benefits reinstated and unspecified damages for the termination of the benefits and misrepresentation.
Case number: 07-C-1615
Cecil B. Griffith, administrator of the estate of Rosa Griffith, deceased v. Edmundo E. Figuero, M.D.
PA – Henry E. Wood III; J – Walker
* Cecil Griffith filed a suit on behalf of the estate of Rosa Griffith, who had her right leg amputated after a problem during a heart catheterization with Dr. Edmundo Figuero. According to the suit, another physician claims the amputation contributed to Griffith's death less than two years after the surgery. Cecil Griffith seeks compensation for the loss of Rosa's leg and the deviation from acceptable standards of care.
Case number: 07-C-1633
Alice Jameson and Clarence Jameson v. James M. Henderson, M.D., D.D.S.
PA – Richard E. Holtzapfel; J – King
* Alice Jameson filed a medical malpractice suit against James Henderson, the physician who performed her facial mole removal. During the surgery, the tool Henderson was using to remove the mole ignited the oxygen Jameson was given, causing serious burns to Jameson's face and into her airway and lungs. Alice and Clarence Jameson seek compensatory and punitive damages for medical bills and other loses.
Case number: 07-C-1634
Ping Zhao v. Leslie Morton, Sidney Lopinsky, Josephine Lopinsky
PA – Jonathan R. Mani; J – King
* Ping Zhao filed a suit after she was attacked by a dog and suffered serious physical and mental injuries. Zhao filed the suit against the dog's owner, Leslie Morton, and Morton's parents, Sidney and Josephine Lopinsky, the owners of the property where the dog lives. Zhao seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 07-C-1635
Don Blankenship v. West Virginia Democratic Party, also known as The Democratic Party of The State of West Virginia and G. Nicholas Casey Jr.
PA – Richard A. Hayhurst; J – Walker
* Don Blankenship, the CEO and president of Massey Energy Co., filed a suit against the West Virginia Democratic Party, claiming he was defamed. Blankenship claims comments he made about the Sago and Aracoma mine accidents were twisted to made him sound bad. He claims the Democratic Party misused his words in a public television ad, which hurt his reputation. He seeks a public apology and compensation to be determined at trial.
Case number: 07-C-1668