Roger Bryant vs. Raven Crest Contracting LLC, JMP Coal Holdings LLC, JMP Holdings LLC and William A. Styles
PA-Matthew M. Hatfield; J-Thompson
* Employed more than a year as a heavy equipment operator, Bryant says he was unlawfully terminated because he attempted to receive workers' compensation benefits. He seeks damages for lost wages, benefits, back and front pay and various damages as well as court costs and attorney fees.
Case number: 09-C-182
Travis Long vs. Boone Memorial Hospital and Jennifer D. Hensley MD
PA-Richard D. Lindsay; J-Thompson
* Long, a diabetic, went to the hospital in April 2008 with sickness and back pain. He was discharged shortly thereafter. He returned a few days later saying he had hip pain. He again was discharged. Third time, he complained of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. He was diagnosed with sepsis and moved to CAMC and admitted to the critical care unit. He was intubated and put on a ventilator for two weeks before a required tracheostomy and permanent trach tube and loss of his voice. He seeks compensatory damages, legal costs and fees.
Case number: 09-C-183
Brickstreet Mutual Insurance Co. vs. D&G Distributors Inc. and Gary Cooper
PA-Clinton W. Smith; J-Thompson
* Brickstreet says the Whitesville company owes $23,000 in premiums plus pre- and post-judgment interest, late charges and legal costs.
Case number: 09-C-186
William Johnson vs. West Virginia American Water Co., Safeco Insurance Co. of America and David Scott
PA-D. Adrian Hoosier II; J-Thompson
* Johnson blames defendants for damages to his dwelling where the water was negligently shout off during the winter of 2008, causing pipes to freeze. His complaint seeks compensatory damages.
Case number: 09-C-214
Bill Hicks & Co. LTD vs. Graybeal Enterprises LLC and Matthew Graybeal
PA-Paul S. Atkins; J-Thompson
* Minnesota company seeks $28,000 on past due purchases ordered by the Peytona firearms and gunsmith firm.
Case number: 09-C-215
West Virginia ex. rel. Darrell V. McGraw Jr., Attorney General vs. Rite Aid of West Virginia Inc.
PA-Frances A. Hughes; Bailey & Glasser LLP; J-Thompson
* Complaint seeks jury judgment against the operator of 104 retail pharmacies in West Virginia for injuctive relief, civil penalties, restitution and disgorgement for violations of state law governing generic drug pricing and the state Consumer Credit and Protection Act.
Case number: 09-C-217
Maylinna A. Keeney, administratrix of the estate of Charles J. Keeney, deceased vs. Panther Branch Coal Co., Long Branch Development Co., Forest Coal Co. and Venture Services Co.
PA-Harry M. Hatfield; J-Thompson
* Keeney says her husband died as a result of an Oct. 28, 2008, rock fall in Mine No. 23 near Wharton. She says his injuries were caused by an unsafe working condition and demands compensatory and punitive damages jointly and severally as well as interests and costs.
Case number: 09-C-218