Salt Rock Sewer Public Service District, a public utility, Ona, Cabell County, West Virginia vs. Alma F. Adkins and American Alternative Insurance Corporation
PA- H. Wyatt Hanna III; J- David M. Pancake
* On Dec. 11, 2007, during a monthly meeting, the company discovered certain funds were missing from the customer deposit bank account and the operation and maintenance bank account. According to the suit, the company had its accountant conduct analysis of all funds from May 1, 2006 to Dec. 31, 2007 and discovered $95,286.14 was missing. Adkins was the office manager and responsible for making deposits into the bank accounts. American Alternative Insurance Corporation has failed to compensate Salt Rock Sewer PSD for its loss, according to the suit. Salt Rock Sewer PSD is seeking compensatory damages in the amount of $61,560.52.
Case number: 09-C-964
Joseph Johnson, as parent and next friend of Autumn Johnson, a minor vs. Cabell County Board of Education
PA- Brent K. Kesner, Daniel W. Greear, Kevin C. Harris, Eric J. Holmes; J- F. Jane Hustead
* On Aug. 30, 2007, Autumn Johnson was playing on the monkey bars on the playground at Spring Hill Elementary School when she fell and injured herself. Mr. Johnson claims the monkey bars were in violation of the standards for playground equipment by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Autumn Johnson suffered a fracture to her nose and other bodily injuries, according to the suit. Mr. Johnson is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 09-C-965
Joseph Johnson, as parent and next friend of Joshua Johnson, a minor vs. Cabell County Board of Education
PA- Brent K. Kesner, Daniel W. Greear, Kevin C. Harris, Eric J. Holmes; J- David M. Pancake
* On April 13, 2006, Joshua Johnson was playing on the swing set on the playground at Spring Hill Elementary School when he was injured. When he was exiting the swing set, Joshua Johnson fell over large pieces of lumber that were placed beneath the playground equipment, causing him to fracture his arm and sustain other bodily injuries. Mr. Johnson claims the Board of Education was negligent in failing to properly and adequately supervise his son as he was playing on the equipment. He is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 09-C-968
Lori Sinclair, Administratrix of the Estate of Robert Wayne Sinclair, deceased vs. Cabell County Board of Education and David Shawn Gibson
PA- Michael S. Bailey, Gregory L. Howard Jr.; J- F. Jane Hustead
* On Dec. 11, 2007, a vehicle driven by David Allen Adkins in which Robert Wayne Sinclair was a passenger was struck by a school bus driven by David Shawn Gibson. Robert Wayne Sinclair sustained injuries that were fatal as a result of the accident and he died the same day. Lori Sinclair is seeking compensatory damages and punitive damages.
Case number: 09-C-971
Devona K. Adkins, Administratrix of the Estate of Christopher S. Adkins, deceased vs. Cabell County Board of Education and David Shawn Gibson
PA- J. Robert Leslie; J- David M. Pancake
* On Dec. 11, 2007, Christopher S. Adkins was a passenger in a vehicle that was struck by a school bus that was driven by David Shawn Gibson. Christopher S. Adkins sustained fatal injuries from the accident and died. Devona K. Adkins is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.
Case number: 09-C-972
Elizabeth Hager vs. Platinum Corral, LLC d/b/a Golden Corral, a North Carolina Corporation
PA- Kenneth P. Hicks, Roger L. Lambert; J- David M. Pancake
* On Jan. 31, 2008, Hager was at Golden Corral in Barboursville when she slipped and fell in a restroom stall due to water on the floor and struck the toilet with her pelvis, hip and back. Hager claims management knew that a defective water heater was leaking water onto the floor of the restroom and failed to take corrective action. She is seeking compensatory damages.
Case number: 09-C-977
ERSM (Guernsey) LTD vs. Phillip B. Adkins and Jane Doe, his wife
PA- R. Matthew Vital, Jason A. Leasure, Lora A. Dyer; J- F. Jane Hustead
* On Dec. 17, 2007 and Jan. 24, 2008, ERSM unintentionally and mistakenly transferred $1,200 and $17,400 into Adkins' bank account, upon belief that it was transferring the money into the account of another contractor. After the company realized its mistake it attempted to contact Adkins multiple times. Jane Doe was reached and informed via telephone and a formal letter was also issued to Adkins. ERSM claims Adkins and Doe have yet to return the money or communication with them at all. The company is seeking compensation in the amount of $18,600 with interest.
Case number: 09-C-984