MOUNDSVILLE — A pipefitter is suing Axiall LLC, William Starkey, World Wide Safety Consulting LLC and Simakis Company Inc., alleging negligence and insufficient measures taken to prevent injuries.
Robert W. Cooper filed a complaint on Aug. 5 in Marshall Circuit Court against the defendants, alleging that they breached their duty to protect him from workplace hazards.
According to the complaint, the plaintiff alleges that on April 23, 2015, he was employed by defendant Simakas and working near chlorine manufacturing and processing equipment at defendant Axiall's facility. As a result, he was exposed to and inhaled chlorine that caused him to develop serious lung problems and other physical abnormalities, he alleges. The plaintiff holds the defendants responsible for allegedly failing to provide a safe place to work, failing to take reasonable precautions and failing to provide protective equipment and clothing, sufficient to protect him from chlorine inhalation.
The plaintiff requests a trial by jury and seeks compensatory damages from all defendants, jointly and severally, pre- and post-judgment interest and such other relief as the jury finds fair and just. He is represented by R. Dean Hartley, Leslie A. James and J. Michael Prascik of Hartley & O'Brien PLLC in Wheeling.
Marshall Circuit Court Case number 16-c-144